Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:19 PM   #1

Hi gang !!!

Apologies for not poping over as much as I should although I do check on the pics that are being posted by you all. According to C|Net (news.com) PanaLeica are about announce details about the new budget DLSR on July 17th 2007. Was first posted over at dprview but at the time I thought it was a rumour as Pana usually announces new cams late July/August just ahead of Photokina, GMBH. We've known for several months that they're going to introduce a budget DSLR this summer so its nothing out of teh blue but they could suprise us with info on the forthcoming Pro cam to.

I'd say for the budget DLSR - the kit lens will be the new 14-150 leica D as they will clearly be aiming to get the FZ users (which includes me :G) to upgrade and the only thing that will entice a lot of FZ's would be a good super zoom and this lens is it. Focal length 28-300, IS and the size and weight of the new Leica D which is approx the same as the 14-50 make it the only candidiate in town as I can;t see them simply rebadging a Simga/Olympus lens. Other features - ergonomics/design the same as the current FZ30/50 which is no bad things at all as it looks and feels very similar to my E1, perhaps a bounce flash (don;t think so - as they will keep that for the L1/Pro) but I;d be suprised if they left off the tilt swivel LCD but then again they may not want to upset Oly. I'm not sure if this cam will also get Oly's in camera IS - it would be a pretty good move if they did combine both lens based (mega OIS) and the sensor based (oly's).

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:37 PM   #2

I'm excited ... been thinking about upgrading to DSLR already and only had the FZ8 for a few months. What I would say os the FZ8 has turned photography into a hobby where as my previous cameras never had.

keep us posted if you hear any more Harj

Cheers

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:34 PM   #3

If it's anything like the Olympus E510 it just might be my next camera.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:55 AM   #4

Now another camera to think about. Thanks HarjTT.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Not ready for a move into the land of DSLR yet, but nice to see progress being made. By the time I am ready there will be some terrific cams available. Like that we are starting to get a few with OIS (or its equivalent) available in body.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:37 AM   #6

I cannot see me getting one of these unless its beats the masters of DSLR's Canon and Nikon, I just dont see Panasonic doing well agasint them at all in any way.

I will only go for DSLR when we can live preview the image on the LCD screen anyway, no way I am using the viewfinder only to take images, its so ristricting its crap.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:17 PM   #7

The new Olympus E510 has a live preview LCD and IS in the body. So I'm hopeful those features will be on the Panasonic. As long as there's a good selection oflenses the camera should do well even compared to Canon and Nikon.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:46 PM   #8

Really one of the reason I picked up a D50 was to rid of an electronic view (Live View)...I guess it would not be bad to have, as long as I did not have to use it.

If I had my choice live view or better IQ I would take better IQ every time.

this 4/3 thing has not made a believer out of me yet. I remember everyone saying the lenses will fit all 4/3 cameras so they will be plentiful and inexpensive....Not quite true is it?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:40 PM   #9

romerojpg wrote:
Quote:
I cannot see me getting one of these unless its beats the masters of DSLR's Canon and Nikon, I just dont see Panasonic doing well agasint them at all in any way.

I will only go for DSLR when we can live preview the image on the LCD screen anyway, no way I am using the viewfinder only to take images, its so ristricting its crap.
One man's faith is another man's superstition...or something like that.:roll:

After about four years with my FZ-10, I just last month took my first picture using the LCD screen. I think I still prefer the viewfinder but, in the end, it's personal preference mostly determined by what you're use to...and I have a long history of using 35mm film cameras (never did find one with an LCD screen...:lol

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
.One man's faith is another man's superstition...or something like that.:roll:

After about four years with my FZ-10, I just last month took my first picture using the LCD screen. I think I still prefer the viewfinder but, in the end, it's personal preference mostly determined by what you're use to...and I have a long history of using 35mm film cameras (never did find one with an LCD screen...:lol

john

Thats what I was trying to say in 2 years with my FZ30 I have never turned the LCD to the view position any more than 3 or 4 times.....An optical viewfinder is my choice.

The slight delay that is built into an EVF or LCD is a real bother to me. I am willing to accept that on a FZ camera but I do not want it on a DSLR.

I really can see why no one has built the perfect camera, we can not even agree on what it should be like.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote