Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:43 PM   #11

I really like those burnets! We have a moth that looks like the one in shot#3 called a Sod Webworm Moth.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:28 PM   #12

Cannot add to what already been said, except vey nice work. I am green.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:07 AM   #13

Thanks Vaiboy,and Jerry, appreciate the feedback

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:52 AM   #14

Very nice work Mark! As I have commented before, your command of light/flash is exceptional.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:23 AM   #15

Thanks Emmanuel.

Mark
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:58 PM   #16

Absolutely astounding, Mark. A technical question if I may: I am using the FZ20 and a 6T and the onboard flash with akleenex diffuser.In aperture mode this limits me to 1/60 which is too slow for some fast moving insects (and my shakey hands). In manual mode, at f8 and 1/125 the viewfinder darkens making it impossible to focus in dim light. My question is, with the flash on the hotshoe, does the viewfinder stay open to allow focusing in dim light? This may sound naive, but I am just getting started with macro and my pictures are not at all sharp and I suspect I may need a better flash. Many thanks for posting your fantastic shots.

Jerry
Jerryinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:54 PM   #17

Thanks Jerry. With the onboard flash you can alter shutter speed while still sticking with f8 in aperture mode by using the exposure comp. Standard flash sync speed is 1/60th second.Moving the arrow to the left (underexposing) will increase shutter speeds right up to 1/250th if you dial in -2 ev. Similarly moving the arrow to the right will lower shutter speeds. By altering the flash output you can get faster speeds while still lighting the subject fairly well. Altering the shutter speeds via the exposure comp also allows you to vary how much light the background receives - lower speeds allow the background to be lit better making for more natural looking shots, while faster speeds mean more light on the subject and less on the background.
I shot a lot of macros with the onboard flash until fairly recently which came out ok, i`ll add the link to my photobucket gallery at the end of this post so you can check them out if you want ( last few shots on page 9 back to the last page are onboard flash shots).
Re the external flash, the screen still blacks out in manual mode at high shutter speeds unfortunately so i stick to f8 in aperture mode for all my macro shots.
With the sunpak flash I use now, it allows me to vary flash output on the unit itself. To fine tune the lighting I vary the angle of the flash head/bounce card to slightly increase/decrease the amount of light the subject receives, and I use the exposure comp on the camera to make slight adjustments too.I always aim to use the flash to freeze the subject for sharp shots while making the lighting as natural as possible.
My hands aren`t the steadiest either, so for 99% of my macros now I use a tripod, on 2 legs so it can be rocked back and forth towards/away from the subject to get good focus. Similar to a monopod but a lot more stable. May be worth a try.....

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/markhou68/

Mark
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:44 AM   #18

Great macros and helpful technical info.
tnanks for sharing both. I'll be using your tips in my gargen. Never had much luck with monopods, so I like your idea of using 2 legs of a tripod. Just got a 250 and am still climbing the learning curve. Hopefully I'll have some shots to post here.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:30 AM   #19

Thanks Tinosa, good luck with the macros

Mark