Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1

At the beginning of the week I posted a few macro insect pictures and asked some questions.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I received useful info from Mark H, vaiboy and Ted Cook and went out to apply it. One of the things mentioned was use the flash to get high shutter speeds. That alone was very useful as I had been taking pictures in the brightest sun I could find and darn near melted every time I tried, so finding shade and using the flash is great.

Anyway, on with the progress report. The yard has little iridescent flies and I have been working on them. They come in assorted colors and shapes. One of the prettiest is the little gold one.

I took a lot of pictures of gold flies only to review the picture and have nothing but leaf. It got to the point where I was wondering if they were transparent to the flash as the fly would be on the leaf when I pressed the shutter, on the leaf after the picture, but not in the picture itself. Then I got a few lucky shots. Not good shots but lucky as I could figure out why I had leaf. The next few are jumping fly shots. 1/2000 second shutter speed.

In addition to the fly shown above, there is another gold one with a fatter abdomen with some black on it, and other colors with the same fatter shape. A green one is below.

My last shot is not a super sharp shot, but I like it. Sort of artistic.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to comment.
Steve

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2

Those little flies are Long Legged Flies, they are very hard to capture because they move so fast. Even though the FZ7 only has a slight shutter delay it's still enough of a delay to miss the fly. The last shot is a Toxomerus Hoverfly. Good work capturing these!
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:30 AM   #3

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
Those little flies are Long Legged Flies, they are very hard to capture because they move so fast. Even though the FZ7 only has a slight shutter delay it's still enough of a delay to miss the fly. The last shot is a Toxomerus Hoverfly. Good work capturing these!
Thanks vaiboy for the comment and hoverfly id. Now, about these little flies: Although I do miss them sometimes because they are active, as far as I can tell the jumping aspect is a direct response to the flash. I set the shutter at 1/2000, and they will jump up from a resting position and quite often return to the very same spot they started from. So the flash must go off slightly before the shutter and in that brief millisecond or so they hop. I was thinking it might be that they can see infrared and jumped in response to the flash sensor, but on autofocus with no flash they don't jump so that isn't it. They are interesting little flies.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
Thanks vaiboy for the comment and hoverfly id. Now, about these little flies: Although I do miss them sometimes because they are active, as far as I can tell the jumping aspect is a direct response to the flash. I set the shutter at 1/2000, and they will jump up from a resting position and quite often return to the very same spot they started from. So the flash must go off slightly before the shutter and in that brief millisecond or so they hop. I was thinking it might be that they can see infrared and jumped in response to the flash sensor, but on autofocus with no flash they don't jump so that isn't it. They are interesting little flies.
From my experience of shooting them, I don't think its the result of the flash. I have shot them using A mode at 1/60s, and able to get them sharp. Some do react after the flash. But sometimes, they are rather jumpy, so they may react b4 you press the shutter.

Fast shutter speed is used unless you want to capture in flight motion OR when the daylight/ambient light is very bright. Key aspect for macro is the apeture, which should be maximised for DOF. With the hotshoe flash, the default shutter setting in A with F8, 1/60s (for FZ10).

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 1:31 PM   #5

Nice shootin' Happy !
I agree with you on that last shot, the soft focus works in this case and the colors are beautiful.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:12 PM   #6

Good ones Steve, that last one is one of my favorites, a hover fly.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote