Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:08 PM   #1

We have always grown milkweeds for the Monarchs. They are always laying eggs on them, and when the kids were small we taught them how to identify eggs and they would bring them in and raise the butterflies up. Although the Monarchs live on them everything else loves the flowers and I recommend everyone have a patch of them.

1. American Lady. Not on milkweed though as it hopped off. No macro lens. Cropped.

2. Red Admiral. Macro lens. Very minimal cropping.

The rest of the shots are of a Tiger Swallowtail who landed behind me while I was taking the Red Admiral's picture. I turned around and he was about a foot from me. Panic. A number of macro shots, constantly backing off the zoom. Finally just unscrewed the lens and set it on the ground.

3. Macro lens shot. Half zoom. No cropping.

4. Macro. Less then half zoom and no cropping.

5. No macro lens. About 3 power zoom and cropped. The only close up shots of the underside of the wing the butterfly did not fit in the frame as he was too close.

6. May or may not have had macro lens. Around 4X zoom and lightly cropped.

I think the Tiger Swallowtail is just about the prettiest butterfly around and hope you enjoyed the shots of this one and the other butterflies.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:04 PM   #2

Very nice shots Steve, nice framing and plenty of detail. Did you use the flash on these?

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:06 PM   #3

Well, I went out in the yard for a beer after posting this post and the Monarchs were all upset that I had not taken their picture this morning. I tried to reason with them, but they were upset and kept getting in my face until I said "OK, I will take a few pictures, but you have to hold still." It took a bit of time for them to settle down though. They are such lively critters.

[img]%5Bimg%5Dfile:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.jpg[/img]

Finally one of them holds still and I get a halfway decent shot.

Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:11 PM   #4

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Very nice shots Steve, nice framing and plenty of detail. Did you use the flash on these?

Mark
Thanks for looking and commenting Mark.

Flash on Red Admiral and all swallowtail pictures except the side view. After it moved a bit away I turned off flash and used infinite burst mode to try and capture it in flight but all I got was a blur of motion.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:44 PM   #5

Nice shots and I just ordered some milkweed seeds online.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:04 PM   #6

JDar wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots and I just ordered some milkweed seeds online.
They sell a plant called *Butterfly Weed which is a kind of milkweed that is rather frail and small. The regular milkweeds work just fine for us. In addition to the four species I put in these posts we had at least three or four more in the yard today. And we live on a city lot in Chicago with not that much wildlife.

*There is also a plant called Butterfly Bush. Entirely different type of plant but worth getting if you have room as they get six feet around or more if happy.

Thanks for looking and commenting.