Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:30 PM   #1

Hi, I'm busy palying around with my new cam and was quite shocked to see that when takes images in RAW format the JPEG copy of the photo is much much brighter than the RAW image which is completely washed out and devoid of any bright colouring, which really confuses me, I thought RAW was supposed to be much better quality?? the RAW image is about 20 Meg whereas the JPEG is about 3 Meg, yet based on the quality of the pics it seems it should be the other way around...am I missing something?? and advice or ideas would be much appreciated, thanx.
jostian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:43 PM   #2

Think about the two files this way...

The JPEG is a processed file. The image has been adjusted in-camera according to the perameters you have selected (or those that were factory installed if you haven't changed anything), including the compression and qualitylevels (that determine JPEG file size)that are set to be applied to the JPEG. This is what you are seeing inthe JPEG.

A RAW file is just that.... R.A.W....none of the in-camera perameters that produced the attached JPEGare applied....that's YOUR responsibility to do later on the computer. You have to set the contrast, you have to set the saturation levels, you have to sharpen the file, YOU have to make those decisions. RAW files are UNPROCESSED data, not finished JPEG's, and cannot be compared to in-camera produced JPEGs.Regarding the file size, Panasonic does not compress their RAW files at all.The RAW files my 10 megapixel FZ50 producesare over 20 megabytes in size!

An unprocessedRAW file will never match the attached JPEG and will only be as good as your ability to process it in whatever software you choose. A RAW file is only halfway to the point of being like the in-camera processedJPEG. You've got to manually do that other half.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:05 AM   #3

Hi Greg, thanks a huge amount for the clarification, I was just so shocked at how awful the RAW image looked...at least now I understand better why. So I guess that if one is goingto use the RAW setting one definitely needs to know how to use the software properly too...I think I need to play around a bit as I'm not familiar with processing RAW images, or maybe I should just use the JPEG setting at (highest quality) it'd probably be easier? thanks again
jostian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:00 AM   #4

I used RAW exclusively for over three years with my DSLR's. Today I shoot with two cameras, an FZ50 and a TZ3. The FZ50 has the RAW option, but for normal shooting at ISO's of 100-200 it's nothing but JPEG for me today. The combination of the electronic viewfinder of the FZ50 and live histogram on both the FZ50 and TZ3that allows you to stay away from clipping highlights by seeing the graph before you shoothave me happily staying away from both the strain of excessive file storage issues you have when dealing with 20MB individual files and the extra time of both converting the RAWfiles and then finishing them in Photoshop.

RAW definitely has it's uses, mainly for me with these Panasonic cameras when the ISO gets to 400 and beyond and I want to avoid some of the color bleeding issues you can see in certain colors atthe higher ISO files. SinceRAW files don't undergo that processing in the Venus III engine you avoid the color bleedingissues shooting RAW, but at the expense of then having to deal with toning down added noise, and I still have issues getting noise reduction settings down to something I like with these cameras.

Good luck. The LX2 looks like one fun little camera to shoot with.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote