Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1

America celebrates it's birthday on the Fourth of July, and almost every city in the country has fireworks today. Every one but my home town of Chicago. For some reason they have the show on the third. But our friendly fireflies took care of giving us a show tonight. Here are a few shots.

Ready for flight.

Back view

Showing of his light.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:53 AM   #2

I never thought one could take a photo of a firefly, with lights on, so well.With a darkbackground, I think,the result would have been dramatic, but I presume you had to use flash to show the insect in good light. Great effort.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:47 AM   #3

Raghu wrote:
Quote:
I never thought one could take a photo of a firefly, with lights on, so well.With a darkbackground, I think,the result would have been dramatic, but I presume you had to use flash to show the insect in good light. Great effort.
These were taken as darkness fell, so I had to use the flash to show them at all. I did indeed try to get dark backgrounds, but the ones I have are not near as sharp, or the firefly is a bit small. Composition is hard with a moving target I have learned, and my yard is small and has background objects everywhere almost. I will try and get that perfect dramitic shot someday, but wanted to post these for the holiday.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:22 AM   #4

Excellent captures Steve, particularly the last one

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:12 PM   #5

One tool I have never used in Elements is Paint Bucket. Thinking about Raghu's comment though made me decide to give it a try. Works pretty good as long as the background is monochromatic.

Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:15 PM   #6

great job on the firefly!
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:58 PM   #7

YOu did a great job catching it in mid-air! I tried last night and well...let's just say...blurrrr.... I didn't have my slave flash handy though... )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:10 PM   #8

Thanks Steve, I never get to see those out here on the coast.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:23 PM   #9

Great shots, Steve. Particularly like the effect you achieved with PP using PSE Paintbucket. Clever to have caught the fly all lit up!
Have not tried much in the way of insect photos, except for a few not-so-good butterfly pix - which made me realize how difficult insect shots are and, therefore, makes me appreciate the quality of yours all the more.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:11 AM   #10

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
YOu did a great job catching it in mid-air! I tried last night and well...let's just say...blurrrr.... I didn't have my slave flash handy though... )
It took me a few nights to get it down to an acceptable percentage of passable shots. Final settings are; adjustable tele converter set for 1 foot and zoom to right where 2x changes to 3x. That gives me a fair depth of field of at least an inch or more. (I think, or else I am very lucky. Manual focus. The focus range does not matter as I adjust with the converter, but if I had a fixed focus converter it might. I focus on some writing to determine operating distance and set shutter at 1/2000.

Tonight I tried for front views, which are really hard as the fireflies come right at me then. One landed on the lens so far. And they are attracted by the flash I think.

One more thing; I am shooting blind although I do use the screen to review the shot and see when the flash is charged again. All that high speed pointing at flying gulls last winter is coming in handy now for knowing where the camera is pointing by feel.

Keep at it. It's fun. And when the neighbors look at me like I am daft it will be good to know there is at least one other daft person in the world.

Thanks for looking and commenting. And thanks also to Donna and Ted.