Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:11 AM   #1

After seeing Cal34`s deer shots last week it prompted me to try for some myself for a change (macro overload :-) ). A visit today to another nature reserve I frequent proved pretty productive, with a nice bonus too....all shots taken at iso200 due to the low light in the woods, no additional lenses, just the fz20 (on tripod).....

#1 Roe Deer hiding in the bracken....

#2 A different Deer, again well hidden in the foliage, testament to the spot focus on the fz20....

#3 Spotted a pair of ears coming along the path through the undergrowth. I knew it was a Fox ( a favourite mammal of mine) so set up the tripod and waited. Sure enough it came into view and I managed a few shots.What I didnt expect was it to keep coming towards me until it was no more than 10ft away, where it stood watching me for what seemed like ages.I`m sure if it could speak it would have said "cheese" !!!:-)

#4 "smile for the camera!"

#5 "wish he`d hurry up i`m getting a bit bored now!"

Mark

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:55 AM   #2

It is easy to take pictures of deer in my neck of the woods, but I have never seen a fox come walking up the path. You really were in the right place at the right time. The shots are very good. Did you do any cropping or noise reduction?
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:06 AM   #3

Thanks Steve. The Deer at this reserve, although active throughout the day are very shy, so its difficult to get close.Slight cropping on all except shot 2. No noise reduction or PP apart from a touch of sharpening after resizing.
It was one of those days when things go so well you expect something to go wrong...but it didnt (for a change).

Forgot to add this shot of a Red Squirrel in my original post, again taken at iso 200 with no noise reduction at all...the way these turned out i`ll certainly have no qualms about upping the ISO in future if need be...

Mark
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:22 AM   #4

Nice squirrel also. Even with the smaller sensor on the FZ7, I have taken quite a few shots at ISO 200, some of which are very good even without Neat Image. With enough light for the ISO it seems to me noise problems might be overrated.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks. After doing a little experimenting recently, and with todays shots, it seems that with the higher ISO`s theres less latitude for correcting the brightness etc of a shot if underexposed. I have a few from today that came out a bit dark which do show a lot of noise when the brightness/ gamma correction is increased. Provided exposure is spot on I agree that results at higher ISOs aren`t as bad as many make out.

Mark
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:06 PM   #6

Very cute photos! )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:46 PM   #7

Thanks Beth glad you liked them.

Mark
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:26 PM   #8

Very nice shots Mark and how lucky with that little fox. I once met one face to face like that and it was gone before I could get the camera up to my eye. Keep it up with shots like that and we will think you're becoming a softy.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:24 AM   #9

Great fox pictures mark. Where abouts were u ??
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:41 AM   #10

Thanks Ted and Pants for the kind comments.

The Foxes at this particular reserve have very little fear of humans so on the occasions you do get a view of one, it`s usually a close view. The problem being that the undergrowth is so dense they pass unnoticed a lot of the time unless theyre using the footpaths or going through clearer areas.

Pants, the place i was at is just a small nature reserve on the outskirts of Newcastle. It`s been a reserve since before i was born and although the animals are free to roam elsewhere, it acts as a haven for them where they can live undisturbed. People do try and go in there poaching the Deer etc, but as theres a warden who lives on the site very few non-members get away with access....theyre ejected from the place immediately, as are dog-walkers.

I`ve just recently uploaded a lot of my mammal shots onto my photobucket pages, the majority were taken at this reserve...

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26.../UK%20mammals/

Mark