Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:47 PM   #1
KSS

Hello………….I need the help from my friends here at Steve's Digicams once again….

I am trying to decide a purchase between the following Panasonic cameras DMC-FZ7K, DMC- FZ8K, and the DMC-FZ50K. Is the new FZ50 worth the price difference over the FZ28? Is it that much better in picture quality and function? From all that I am reading online one can assume that perhaps the picture quality from either of these cameras is not good, or it is great depending on the reviewer. It gets very confusing. Steve's review on the FZ50 is not posted yet and his findings have not let me down yet. So in the meantime I need to ask for opinions.

My main camera is a Canon EOS 20D. I am in of a need a high quality single lens camera for those occasions that I do not want to carry the 20D and lenses.

So many cameras, so many reviews, so much confusion. I would appreciate the feedback and an opinion from anyone who has these cameras's or has an opinion on this subject in general. Thanks.
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:27 PM   #2

Given the same choice and some money to upgrade my FZ3, I would go for FZ50. The only negatives I have heard of that camera are that Pana have unnecessarily cramped too much megapixels on a small CCD; and that the auto noise reduction smoothens out pictures a little too much. However, going by the pictures posted here and elsewhere, and by the capabilities of the camera, it is definitely worth it. Full reviews have been published in other sites like dpreview. You may have a look at that and then decide.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:51 AM   #3

although I have the FZ8 and think it's a really good camera I wish I'd have bought the fz50 just for the zoom ring. For a simple light single lens camera the FZ8 is great though.

The best judge is the pictures in this forum, if you want to see fz8 shots check any of my posts .... although I'm no pro photographer and there are plenty of fz50 users in this fourm also.

Also check out www.flickr.com/photos/antbphotos/

if you want fz8 shots all in 1 place.

Good luck

Pants
PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 5:34 PM   #4
KSS

Thanks and I enjoyed looking at your photo's. This is a tough decision. The CCD thing I would hope would not be a problem. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 5:38 PM   #5
KSS

Thank you. Good to hear from someone who is using the camera. Will the CCD and noise reduction be a big issue down the road? Seems like DPReview just squeezed out a highly recommended rating. It is a tough decision. Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:54 PM   #6

My wife and I shoot a FZ30 and a D50 side by side and unless there is a special purpose for your photos, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in a FZ50 and a DSLR.

You do have more leeway in processing a DSLR photo.....there is more Dynamic range and in low light there is a big difference....but for most wildlife shots you will be impressed with the FZs
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:41 AM   #7
KSS

Thanks for the info............. I am just undecided and may nowbe leaning toward the Canon S3 IS over the FZ50. $500- $600 seems like a lot of money for a camera that you can only use at low ISO's. I would like a camera that if needed could get a decent low light shot from time to time. Isn't any of these manufacturers focusing on picture quality anymore? Seems like it is just a mega pixel race. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:42 AM   #8
KSS

Duplicate Message
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:42 AM   #9
KSS

Duplicate Message
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:43 AM   #10
KSS

Duplicate Message