Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:00 AM   #1

Well OK mostly birds, so lets get the kangaroo shot out of the way early
(oly Tcon hand held for most of them)

This Little Wattlebird was playing peek-a-boos

A more natural pose in a banksia

there are always great egrets at the river, but almost always on the other side

plenty of grey shrike-thrushes about

and galahs

the juvenile pacific gull had not yet got the dribble under control

The superb fairy-wren has lost its breeding blue

and please excuse three shots, but I am quite excited to get an uncommon and quite endangered hooded plover. This pair are nesting on the beach and it is before my time since we had hooded plovers in these parts.

Finally worked out the reason I do not get BIF shots, I need to ANTICIPATE. When I shoot at the time I want the shot, I get

the pacific gull disappearing out of frame

twice

ditto the sooty osytercatcher

The egret just turned her back

and so it is only the seagulls which are plentyful enough and slow enough for my slow brain to trigger finger reflexes.

Hope you enjoyed. Happy to receive any C&C.

Rafael (FZ30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:20 AM   #2

Great shots Rafael. The 3rd one is particularly well lit and framed. The Kangaroo shot would probably benefit from adjusting the contrast and darkening the image slightly to make the subject stand out more. Had a quick play around with the shot and came up with this below ....hope you don`t mind.

Mark

Attached Images

Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 5:18 AM   #3

Thanks Mark. I do not mind at all, that is what this forum is about sharing knowledge and ideas about our photos.

I actually did play around with it, with results not quite as good as your effort, in the end, though I agree the roo jumps out and the photo has more pop, I decided againt it as the original was truer to the slightly grey and beginning to mist up evening.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:18 PM   #4

I enjoyed your series of shots Rafael, I wish I had your variety of birds around here. Well, we probably do they are just not in my backyard:-) I have got to stop being lazy. BIF shots are difficult with even a DSLR but even more so with the slow focusing FZs. So, you did pretty good and if you have lots of birds to practice with you will get better and better.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:29 PM   #5

Thanks Ted. Well we are fortunate to have a great variety of bird life in this part of teh world. These are not exactly teh back yard, they were taken during a week at my fathers beach place a couple of hours drive from home.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:57 AM   #6

That little Wattlebird is a really cute little guy. All nice shots but he is my favorite. I have erased a lot of shots with the back end of the bird in the frame. The flying away shot you have is the position that seems to keep them in the frame best, but it does not make for an overly exciting shot.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:16 PM   #7

Thanks Steve. Yeah bird bum shots are not really what we want. Still I am slowily improving and I know YOU are getting better than that regularly.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:25 AM   #8

Nice captures Rafael. I like the Little Wattlebird (second shot)and Fairy Wren the most.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote