Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Had a pretty frustrating day today.....had another Fox very close this morning....so close in fact the sound of the camera switching on alerted it to my presence and it left pretty quickly, beautiful cub too, almost fully grown with a pristine coat going to have to go back and try again for it....
The Deer proved elusive, the only sighting was just as I arrived and it was in such poor light even 200iso couldnt get a decent shutter speed so I didnt even bother trying to photograph it
Managed these Squirrel shots though, the first one was playing hide and seek behind a branch - every time I focussed on him he ducked behind the branch, eventually I gave up and took a shot anyway.... 200iso due to the poor light in the woods....

Managed these following two, slightly better shots earlier in the morning though.....both at 80iso

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2

I like the last one best great lighting, detail and a cute pose.
Goot shootin'
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Well done Mark, I can appreciate how rare a picture those are given the scarcity of the Red Squirell in the UK, I only know a few places (other than Scotland) where they are and even then its pretty hard to catch them! Good shots too given the light!
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:32 PM   #5

Thanks Tinosa and Seedubs. The nature reserve where these shots were taken is one of the last strongholds of the Red Squirrel in my area (northeast England), theyre quite plentiful in the reserve but still very difficult to get good pics of...

Mark
Old Jul 9, 2007, 4:58 PM   #6

Great shots Mark. You have inadvertently chosen this weekends destination!

The wife saw your images and said she had never seen a Red squirrel before, so we are off to Ainsdale (only a few miles away) which is also one of the last places these cheeky critters hang out.

Cheers

Tony
tonymurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:04 PM   #7

Thanks Tony. I think Formby woods aren`t far from you.....also a noted Red Squirrel spot, plus the added bonus of several foxes that show regularly and aren`t particularly wary so good photo opps. Might be worth a look too, if you want any more info i`ll find out a bit more for you, either way good luck with the Squirrel hunt

Mark
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:10 PM   #8

2 more shots from today both at iso200. 2nd one was underexposed and needed brightening, hence a bit more noise than the others.....

Mark
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:06 PM   #9

Like the last in your first series. Cute little fellers. Our equivalent down here are possums, they are squirrells with attitude and hob-nailed boots. I ahve one in the back yard and he hisses at me if I go out there at night, coz he reckons I get daylight he gets night. Had to laugh one day when in the middle of a barbeque he fell out of his tree, crashing and banging all the way down. Looked dazed for a about 2 seconds and then calmly climbed back to his nest.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:35 PM   #10

Nice Mark, the third shot is a keeper, well done.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote