Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:49 AM   #1

Aside from having the pictures face the right direction how can these be improved? These are straight from the camera no cropping or tweaking yet. I have tried several rainbows and they all seem to be lacking...something. Thanks for looking and helping.

ISO 100, 1/400th, 7.1f

ISO 100, 1/250th, 5.6f

ISO 100, 1/250th, 5.6f

stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:24 PM   #2

I can't help you as I have only tried shooting one rainbow, I like the flowers with water droplets.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:59 PM   #3

My fz7 scares rainbows away, so I cannot help you there although I would dearly love to.

I took the flower picture and altered two copies. The first one I used the Windows Photo Gallery auto adjust. It is a bit brighter but not much else. I could have used the same very simple program to increase color saturation but wanted to stay basic.

The second one I did a Smart Fix in Adobe Elements 4.0. This one is much liveler.

Although I tend to avoid Smart Fix for my pictures because I think it adds more of a blueish cast then I like, in this case it worked just fine.

If this were my picture I think I would have used a flash. Maybe muted it a bit but I find flash adds so much to rainy day shots.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:57 AM   #4

I actually like the flower shot as is, it has a lovely mood, almost a ted cook look to it. I have only shot rainbows a couple of time and both times with much less success than your seond shot. I don't have my editing program handy but I would try to increase local contrast a little to increase the pop and perhaps up teh saturation a touch to emphasize teh rainbow.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:51 AM   #5

I'm sure I read an article on shooting rainbows very recently and will try to find it for you when I get back from my morning swim. Pretty flowers...

Kat
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies! It helps me learn how to improve and what to improve instead of stumbling through on my own.

happy - I see what you mean about tweaking it a little. It did pop the color a bit.

rafinmelb - I will try your suggestions for the rainbows. I guess they are just tricky.

mono - I'll be checking back to see if you could find that article. Thanks for looking regardless!
stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote