Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Would you avoid buying the FX100 if there will be NO underwater housing?
Yes, I would buy another brand 0 0%
Yes, but I would buy a TZ3 1 100.00%
NO Panasonics for me! 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1

THE FX07 (and the FX12/10/01) UNDERWATER HOUSING DOES NOT FIT THE NEW FX100 CAMERA. THE CAMERA IS LARGER THAN THE HOUSING. THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE THE TWO FIT

I just recieved the brand new FX100 and a brand new FX07 underwater housing (last night). Panasonic advertises that this housing is a supported accesory on the Lumix website.

I got screwed on this (I am out a 10% restocking fee for the housing, shipping for the housing, a 15% restocking fee for the camera and shipping for the camera, AND shipping for extra batteries and memory cards I bought for the trip!)

Panasonic 2nd tier tech support just called and said that, even though the case is listed as a supported accessory on the website for the FX100, they are not at fault because the website for the FX07 housing itself does not specifically list the FX100 camera as compatible (why would it? That website was created way back when the FX10/12 was released!)

The 2nd tier tech said that there was no plan to release an underwater housing for the DMC-FX100. So Panasonic finally comes out with a great camera with a larger sensor (and larger sensor/pixel#=pixel size) and they abandon the underwater photography business? Can we start a petition for this? This camera is so close to being the best non-DSLR I have seen in two years.

Yes, Panasonic really messed up with the "last minute" changes they made to the Venus III silicon; resulting in the dreaded "Panasonic Speckle" (aka noise at ISO 80!). With the FX100 there is hope: snap at the full 12M and batch process everything that comes out with one of the wavelet-based noise removal programs out there (google it). I assure you that you will get sharp images that rival a Canon IS camera. Seriously.

I have been researching alternative underwater housings for the last few hours. I am almost certain that the FX30 housing will not work either. Can anyone positively comfirm this? I hate to have to give up on the FX100 altogether. If you want to take great pictures, have a pocket-camera, AND dive DON'T BUY A DMC-FX100!
RyanSteger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links