Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:03 PM   #11

Thanks, guys, for viewing & comments.
Should also have mentioned I used ISO 100 (lowest possible on FZ50) to reduce noise risk.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:17 PM   #12

Good shots for the fitst try. I am a bit puzzled by the dominance of the reds. I see a small amount of green or blue in the shots, so it was there, just not coming through. I looked at the embeded profile of one shot and it said it was taken at 4 seconds and f-10. I see the FZ-50 goes down to f-11. Perhaps there was some overexposure that oversaturated the blue and green.

I like to shoot at f-16 and use a neutral density filter, since my FZ-7 only goes to f-8. Since such filters are also used with film cameras I am sure you can pick up a3 or 4 stopfilter cheaply. That will put you back up towards the middle of the f-stop range.

I also shoot fireworks on manual daylight setting. Sure is tough making incremental fireworks adjustments yearly. Good luck. Gene Smith Yes, and I love my Lumix, great cameras.

Smithhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:38 PM   #13

A sincere "thanks you" for the feedback, Gene.
I left the W/B on "Auto" which was not too smart.
Next time I'll set to Daylight, f11 and maybe get the Panasonic ND filter to try out.
Not quite sure I understand the reasoning for a reduced exposure to bring out blues and greens. Would really appreciate your further comment, if you can spare a moment.
You are so right - next Canada Day is a long way off for added experiments!!!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:57 PM   #14

My reasoning for the probable wash-out of color is as follows: If you badly overexpose a standard picture you expect it to be mostly white and the colors to be pale. If you overexpose a fireworks shot the sky still looks black, but the streak will be white or pale instead of a bright color. Perhaps the f-10 was not a major overexposure, but I think I recall using either f-11 or f-16.

Another suggestion is that since the fireworks are both contrasty and vivid, you might try lowering both the contrast and saturation control in the camera, and then boosting them up again in the computer processing. Thisshould better put the extreme conditions within the control range of the camera. Good luck. Gene

Smithhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:42 PM   #15

O.K. Gene, I now follow your reasoning ... and it makes a lot of sense.
I will add your advice to my "Fireworks Notes" for the next fireworks photo-opp.
Thanks again.