Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:11 PM   #1

I'm looking to purchase either an FZ-8 or an FZ-50 in the next week. I've read that the FZ-8 does not score so well when it comes to low light situations but I don't know much about the FZ-50 in this scenario. If I'm going to spend the extra money and get the FZ-50 I want to to be much better than the FZ-8 in this area. Can any one post pictures of indoor low light shots or point me to a review that conatins them? Thanks in advance
ObjectAgnosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:41 PM   #2

Hi, I don't own either the FZ8 nor the FZ50. I own an FZ30, the predecessor of the fifty. I thought I would respond anyway.

Firstly, have you had a look at the two reviews on dpreview?
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/

and a side by side comparison
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...8&show=all

You may find these useful.

In relation to the why the 50 over the 8. The 50 has a slighly larger sensor and this may help a little with the noise. It has greater resolution 10MP over 7 though how big a benefit this is is debatable. It has the fixes lens with the zoom ring which I reckon is worth the price all on its own. It is bigger. The zoom range starts at 35 not 36. Takes a hot shoe flash. Is slightly slower on continuous mode. Has a flip and twist LCD.

For me, teh 50 always over the 8. But that might not be for you. Go and check them out. But if you are looking for no flash, low light, indoor shots as a key area of your photography, I would really not go for either. I'd be looking at something with a wider start to teh zoom and better high ISO low light performance.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:32 AM   #3

Well I too own FZ-30, and there is hardly any difference in FZ-30 & FZ-50 exept for megapixls.
I feel in low light setting the performance of the cam.is very poor.
IMHO, you should move to DSLR
Still I am posting one of my image done at night. FZ-30 is set at" night mode".
Hope this may help you in deciding
Attached Images

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4

I've got the 8 and it is utter crap in low light without a tripod!!!

One reason is that if you dial up the ISO to a point where anything slightly moving (or you moving for that matter) is usable then the quality is awful.

Saying that by all accounts the 50 isn't better in this situation.

The built in flash on the 8 is very good but doesn't support a hotshoe.

On a tripod (ISO 80-200) in low light the pictures are excellent !!!

I could have had the 50 but for about 40% more I couldn't justify the benefit ... now ... money aside I wish I had although if I'd have had that I would have wanted the SLR ...

Overall a great cam but in low light (if thats you main area) dont get either get a SLR (I will be next time). If its tripod work you want of still images either cam.

Cheers

PANTS

example

PantsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:59 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not sure if it has helped me decide on what I want yet but you all have definitely given me a ton of information Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:01 PM   #6

I do not believe indoors is the strong point of any ultrazoom.....but if a dedicated flash were used on the FZ50 it would put it way ahead of any other Ultrazoom.

My FZ30 takes great photos in low light but a tripod , or a flash (if the subject is moving) is required.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:03 PM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
...but if a dedicated flash were used on the FZ50 it would put it way ahead of any other Ultrazoom...
I agree, which is why I just made purchased the FZ50 .

DSLR photos are great but they don't have a movie mode; I capture movies almost as much as I take pictures. The FZ50 seems like a very good all around camera with a lot of room for accessories. I can't wait till it's at my door step.

Thanks again for the information and the pictures.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:52 AM   #8

ObjectAgnosia wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to purchase either an FZ-8 or an FZ-50 in the next week. I've read that the FZ-8 does not score so well when it comes to low light situations but I don't know much about the FZ-50 in this scenario. If I'm going to spend the extra money and get the FZ-50 I want to to be much better than the FZ-8 in this area. Can any one post pictures of indoor low light shots or point me to a review that conatins them? Thanks in advance
The only FZ that do well in low light is the FZ10 and FZ20. They have f2.8 at all focal lengths.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:53 PM   #9

Don't forget the FZ-15
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:26 AM   #10

I hate to bring the news, but short of a DSLR, any of them being clearly superior in low light and high ISO than any digicam (especiaally the image stabilized ones like Minolta, Sony, and Pentax), I might recommend a Fuji over a Panasonic. The new Fuji s8000 (not released until September though) provides an 18x zoom with optical image stabilization as well as usable ISO of up to 1600. Fuji has managed to handle noise a lot better than Panasonic, and now that they are adding IS, it's a no- brainer which one I'd choose if I did not already have a DSLR with ultra-zoom lenses. And it would not be a Panasonic. I loved my FZ20 though which was state-of-the-art back in its heyday.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote