Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:24 AM   #1

Default FZ1 Infrared Shots over the weekend

After getting some lead from normjackson, I bought the R72 Hoya last week and tried it out over the weekend. All the shots were handheld with auto ISO setting, mostly manual WB. Some were set to Auto WB and converted to B&W later. I am not very familiar with post enhancement. so the following were some enhancement I did on them:

- Auto level only
- Auto level + convert to B&W
- Auto level + Swap Red, Blue (on 2 shots)

Check it out and comment:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/8B455A2BA7CA85B
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 8:10 AM   #2

Thanks for the credit Otime, but I bet you would have gone ahead and bought your bargain filter anyway

IMHO some of these photos are pretty good, some are very good, and a good few are quite stunning. Thanks for sharing.

If you're interested in post processing, there's a page on conversion to B&W on the cliffshade.com site (must get round to reading it sometime). Mind you I thought your colour ones were among the best. Is the RB swap a recognised IR technique or one of your own invention?

Do you think your pictures would look too grainy in 10x8 prints given the reputation of the FZ1 at high ISOs? I know we associate grain with pictures taken on 35mm with Kodak B&W high speed infra red. Still, maybe you're tempted to try a few reshoots with tripod at ISO50? I can't help wondering if the IR gurus that Karl Norris mentioned as being on the Sony forum at dpreview would be able to provide useful input. Then again it would be a great shame if their advice on the tried and trusted discouraged you from experimenting for yourself.

Please keep up the good work.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:39 PM   #3

It is through your link to the cliffshade site that got me a little more knowledgeable on IR. I have read articles from that site as well as others, subsequently. There is very little post processing done on my IR photos, just some of the simpler technique used. Mostly just Auto Leveling on ACDSee 5.0. Some were converted to Grey Scale after autoleveling. 2 shots were further processed by swapping the red and blue channel using Irfanview (just 1 click), instead of grey scale. The file name reflects what was done on it. The red & blue swap seems to be one of the techniques used in IR to make the sky blue (I think). I am not really keen on spending too much time on post processing, each took just 2-3 minutes on the computer.

Yes, although all the shots were handheld, they were mostly at ISO400 1/8s (AE). The best that I could acheive was ISO200 1/15s (AE). Thus, the shots were quite grainy. I have just posted 1 shot using the tripod on ISO50, 3s. Its less grainy, but the subject (IMO) is not ideal for IR. When I have the time, I will go back to the park with a tripod. But I have seen some IR on Pbase taken at ISO100 1/32s (not FZ1).

I am hoping that more FZ1 users will try IR, especially those living near locations with stunning landscapes. I live in Singapore

BTW the Hoya R72 is really inexpensive here, got mine (55mm) for just S$32, approx US$18.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:46 PM   #4

Default Re: FZ1 Infrared Shots over the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otime
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:17 PM   #5

I like it to. Especially swap photos. What do these IR filters do anyway?
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:11 PM   #6

Earlier, normjackson provided me with this link which should explain:

http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/ir.htm
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:53 AM   #7

Thanks, great site BTW.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:26 PM   #8

i can't check the pictures.. i clicked on the link and i can't see them..
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:38 PM   #9

Default Otime's photos

This link seems to work OK at moment :

http://www.fototime.com/inv/6C4F15B7A1B76F6
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote