Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:46 AM   #1

Default Help equip my FZ1 for Yellowstone (with a limited budget)

I'm about to move beyond my basic but trusty Canon S30 and get a FZ1- motivated by my upcoming vacation to Yellowstone Park in late Sept. I've read a lot of the messages posted about accessories, but I can't get them all or else I'll end up vacationing at my neighborhood park instead...

So given a budget of about $200, what should I get to equip my FZ1? A bigger SD card is mandatory... 256MB? Camera case? extra battery? filters (UV, polarizing, ND, Moose's)? TCON-17 teleconverter? What's the most important stuff I should buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm gradually learning more about digital photography beyond point & shoot, but I'm still a semi-newbie.
UnfocusedBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 5:02 AM   #2

I would say ... a Hoya R72 infrared filter. Got mine for US$18 in Singapore. Check out the photos I took over the weekend:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/8B455A2BA7CA85B

Bring along your notebook if you already have one. Hey ... a wide converter would be great! Make it super wide, maybe done to 17mm as least. There are a few earlier posting on this.
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 5:21 AM   #3

Get the spare battery, UV filter to protect that brilliant zoom lens, and as many spare 256 memory cards that you can afford. Because you will find your self wanting to take so many pictures with this fine camera at such a great location . You will find the FZ1 is such a fun camera to use it will rarely see the inside of a camera bag.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:39 AM   #4

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I am probably going to take my old laptop computer along to avoid buying lots of spare SD cards. Although it weighs as much as a cinder block, I can dump my photos onto it when the SD card fills up.

Otime: Wow, your IR photos are really eye-catching.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
Get the spare battery
I found a site that has AM (After Market) batteries for the FZ1 for only $24.95 (plus shipping, etc...) Post a msg here if you are interested and I'll get back to you (or look for my posting in this forum).
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:16 PM   #6

With the laptop and a 256 card you have that base covered. I would get an extra battery. The uv filter is a good idea if only to protect the lens (I have that) I would like to get a polarizer as well. As far as add on lenses I am going to get a wide angle lens before I get a telephoto one. I have found the zoom to be excellent so far (I take alot of sports photos) but I have found the need for a wider angle shot here and there. You may want to think about getting a monopod or a walking stick if you are going to use the zoom alot they are much more mobile than a tripod.
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
Get the spare battery
I found a site that has AM (After Market) batteries for the FZ1 for only $24.95 (plus shipping, etc...) Post a msg here if you are interested and I'll get back to you (or look for my posting in this forum).
I saw someone on ebay selling batteries for $24.95... with $6 shipping though.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:39 PM   #8

Probably the same guy, I found mine on eBay too:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=12628
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:16 PM   #9

Is the third party batteries just as good? Panasonic stated in the website that the FZ1 battery is supposed to be newly developed.
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 7:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otime
Is the third party batteries just as good?
The 3rd party batteries work fine. I've had mine in my camera for over two weeks now.