Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:35 AM   #1

these birds are extremely shy and skittish, and seldom come out in the open. most times, you can hear them in the reeds or grasses, but you seldom get more than a fleeting glimpse of the bird itself. these are the first halfway decent shots i've managed of this elusive bird.. i was at the park this evening, just enjoying the sunset, when i heard the rail close by. i looked down from the boardwalk, and there it was, foraging in relatively open ground. i had my FZ20 with the 1.4x converter on, but because of the extremely low light (it was about half an hourafter sunset), and the FZ's painfully slow focus even under good conditions, i was using manual focus and hoping to catch the bird in the spot i focused on... of course, these were also taken with the flash...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:44 AM   #2

Nice. Amazing you did not spook the bird with the first flash and got a few more shots.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:53 AM   #3

thanks. that surprised me too, but the flash didn't seem to bother it. i was there with a friend, and we were both using flash, but the rail seemed fairly unconcerned. maybe it's the time of day... they come out to feed at dawn and dusk... and it might not have associated the flash with any danger.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:07 AM   #4

I am likewise amazed you got off a few flash shots. Have only used it on birds once myself and that got me one and only one shot. Lovely detail on #1, though we seem to have a little motion in the legs. Like the composition of #3.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:42 AM   #5

Nice catch squirl, do you know the name of the bird? it's the first time I see one of them.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:48 AM   #6

Emmanuel, it's a Virginia rail...

Rafinmelb, you could be right about the movement, but more likely it's just the shallow DOF from shooting wide open at close range and high zoom with the converter on...
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:52 AM   #7

Nice shots Squirl, It's really fun to capture something that most people don't even get a chance to see. Good detail for the light you had to work with.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote