Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:30 PM   #1

I received my FZ50 the other day and have had a few hours to play around with it. I love it, plays like an slr but is simple enough for beginners like me. I'm currently borrowing my 2gb SD card from my Wii to take pictures and video, but I want more space and a card just for my camera. I noticed that SD come in three different write speeds; 2,4, and 6. I tried looking on the panasonic website and in the manual but I didn't see where it listed the write speed of the camera. What's the fastest card I should buy?
ObjectAgnosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:53 AM   #2

When I got my V-LUX1, Leicas rebranded FZ50,I bought a Sandisk ExtreemIII card and tested it against A UltraII card. I can't remember what the exact number was but I couldn't see any advantage to the ExtreemIII card at all. There was a lot of difference between the UltraII card and a reguldr SD card thought. To test, I simply set the camera on continious andtook as many photos in 30 sec. as it would take and then timed how long the hour glass was on the screen if any, while the camera caught up. The total time and number of photos was almost exactly the same, being within 1 or 2 shots of eack other. I posted it here but could not findthe postwhen I looked. I know it's there, I just overlookedit. Bottom line: ExtreemIII and UltraII were the same with my camera and testing the way I did. I could not figure a better way to test it in real world shooting.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:24 PM   #3
Administrator

According to one reviewer, it can flush it's internal buffer to media at approximately 5500KB/Second shooting raw with an Extreme III. That's pretty fast compared to most non-DSLR models (and even faster than some DSLR models can write to media).

That's going to be much faster than you'd probably get with some of the standard SD cards around.

But, this camera model has a relatively small buffer (fast internal memory), not to mention huge raw files if you shoot in raw. So, if you like to shoot raw, or want to take lots of photos quickly in a row in it's high speed continuous mode, card speed becomes more of a factor (so you're not waiting on the camera to finish writing to get another burst of photos), and I'd probably get something like a Sandisk Ultra II at a mininum.

Also note that some manufacturers tend to be a bit "optimistic" with rated card speeds (not to mention that you sometimes see some compatibility quirks impacting how well a given card works in the device you're using it in). So, it's best to try and find someone that has used a given card model in the camera you're buying it for.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:27 PM   #4

It has been reported it can only take advantage of a 66 X card about 10mb/sec...and a little more than that in movie mode....So that would suggest with a SDHC cardthe class should be class4 but why not get the class 6. I do not use the SDHC cards but I quit buying 60Xa while ago in favor of 133 or 150X cards....

And even at that I really do not believe the camera can use more than 32X as I have some old 32X cards that work as fast in my FZ30 as any card.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:10 PM   #5
Administrator

genece wrote:
Quote:
And even at that I really do not believe the camera can use more than 32X as I have some old 32X cards that work as fast in my FZ30 as any card.
Some of the Lexar 32x SD cards were pretty fast (some used the same components found in Panasonic's 66x SD cards).

At one time, there were only 3 "real" manufacturers of Secure Digital Cards (Panasonic, Sandisk, and Toshiba). The rest just used rebranded components from the "big 3" SD manufacturers, and some of Lexar's 32x SD cards were using very fast components (same as the Panasonic's 66x cards).

You see the same kind of thing with some other card brands, too. For example, I've seen Sandisk Ultra II cards that test just as fast as Extreme III cards in camera models capable of writing to media at more than 10MB/Second, depending on the edge stamp of the card (apparently, they decided to use the same components in some of the newer Ultra II cards as they do in cards that are rated faster). But, an older Ultra II may not have the fastest components.

Manufacturers tend to change components along the way within the same card brand/model and some will test faster than others. You can't always go by a card's rated speed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote