Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:11 PM   #1
B-H

I've been experimenting with depth of field lately, trying to focus on the subject with the background blurry. So wide open aperture and long zoom in daylight. A lot of them are showing a lot of purple fringing and I'm not sure if it's because of the exposure or if it's lens damage from a tumble my FZ20 took a week ago. A friend of mine who was more drunk than I thought fell flat on his face (literally) when he had my camera. It hit the ground hard and the zoom motor stopped working for a while (I got it working again) and there's a scratch on the lens.

Some samples of the purple fringing. All pics ISO 80.

F3.3, 1/1000, 432 mm telephoto

F2.8, 1/400, 337 mm

Another thing I noticed was unusual lens flare. In the following pictures the sun was to my right:

F8.0, 1/25, 36 mm

F8.0, 1/50, 162 mm

F2.8, 1/160, 67 mm

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

edit: images fixed.
B-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:22 PM   #2

very unlikely to be related to any lens damage. this kind of thing is quite common in many digicams, especially when shooting wide open at full zoom with lots of contrast or brightness in the image... the only real remedy is to stop down your lens a bit. then the purple fringing goes away.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:59 PM   #3

agree with squirl033. You can quite easily get rid of most of the purple fringing in PP. The lens flare is just the lighght coming inside the hood. I get some of these effects as well and reckon they are pretty standard.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:27 AM   #4
B-H

Fair enough. I've been looking for imperfections since the lens was scratched. I've looked through some past pictures and noticed lens flare I never noticed before, but it still seems more pronounced now. In Program mode the camera tends to aim for F4.0 - does lens flare happen more often at the open and closed ends of the aperture?
B-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:16 AM   #5

B-H, make me a goodoffer and if reasonable I'll sell you my FZ20 with lens adapters (52 and 58mm), 2 extra battery packsand shutter remote. It's in absolute mint condition. Besides the FZ20 I have the Sony H1 (also a 12x zoom)and just bought the Sony R1 so I no longer need the FZ20.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:54 AM   #6

You may just be noticing the fringing more. I get that all the time, usually because I am testing the limits with a tele converter on my FZ7, but sometimes without it.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:02 AM   #7

Here is a link to an old post of mine and pictures.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...717452#p717452
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:32 PM   #8

Your pictures are not sharp. Soft focus will cause CA. Try spot mode focus it works better. Also you need to use the lens hood for all outdoor shots.

This is sharp via an FZ10.

No CA err..... no backgroud color.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:05 PM   #9

All images seem to have soft focus so my guess is that the lens elements got misaligned after the fall. The purple fringing is just a side effect of the poor focus. I have taken many many pictures with my FZ20 at different apertures and focal lengths and have not noticed this much purple fringing. If you take your camera to any local camera repair shop, they can quickly test it and let you know if the focus system is out of whack.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:25 AM   #10

The FZ20 is well known for it's fringing issues at wide open apertures when there are high contrast areas in the image. All long zoom point & shoot cameras from 3 years ago were susceptible to this but the FZ20 was better than most except when using the wide open apertures.

Do a search here or at dpreview for "FZ20 red fringing" for several hundred posts on this issue dating from 2 or 3 years ago.

You can test it by taking a series of shots - first at f2.8 and then f4.0, f4.6, f5.6, f6.5 and again at f8.0. Try a shot of the moon and you'll see orange/red fringing along it's edge. Or branches against a bright overcast background will have the orange/red on the top and a green fringe on the bottom of the branch. By f6.5 the fringing should be minimal or gone.

As stated in another post here, if you must use f2.8 thru f5.6, you'll be able to PP the fringing using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote