Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

A few skippers. I can see how a lens that went to something like f/22 would come in handy for whole creature macros, but these are passable.

Least Skipper I think. Blue cast came when I used Smart Fix in Elements.

Another day, another skipper. Also a Least Skipper. Maybe.

I have no idea what kind it is, but I think it is an old one.

Another old looking skipper. Fiery I think.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:18 PM   #2

Nice Steve, I am noticing improvement in your bug shots, though a greater DOF may help in some situations, these are pretty good to my eye.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Nice Steve, I am noticing improvement in your bug shots, though a greater DOF may help in some situations, these are pretty good to my eye.
Thanks Rafael. When I got the FZ7 I think some of the reviews panned the low res. viewfinder and screen, but it was such an improvement over my old Kodak I was very happy. Now that I am doing macro though, I can see that a better viewfinder would be helpful. I think the FZ8 has a much better one. But I do the best I can with what I have.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:16 AM   #4

Great butterfly shots! I really like the second one, that pose reminds me of a bull that's about to charge!
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:34 PM   #5

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
Great butterfly shots! I really like the second one, that pose reminds me of a bull that's about to charge!
A bull you say? After shooting other butterflies with an extending nose lately, this one reminded me of a pug or bulldog. I did like that pose though. Usually they flit away in no time but he was just staring me down.

Although, I am beginning to think that, with those big eyes, skippers might get blinded by the flash and sit there awhile. I have taken shots of at least four different ones lately that sat through a series of flash shots even though I had to creep up on them. If I try that with a Monarch or any kind of swallowtail I get one flash shot and they are gone.

Thanks for your comment.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:01 AM   #6

I had shot this bug few weeks back, but it was not asgood as yours neither as close .
Great shot happy peasent. Keep it up
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:33 PM   #7

mcliu wrote:
Quote:
I had shot this bug few weeks back, but it was not asgood as yours neither as close .
Great shot happy peasent. Keep it up
Thanks for comment mcliu. I will try and keep it up if the little critters keep being around. I saw the first species shown at locations 60 miles apart in the course of weekend travels. I think it was an area-wide flight and don't know how long their flight lasts. I hope to see them again. I don't know if I can improve on the shots, but they sure are fun to stalk. I had one with actual colors in the backyard last week, but it was gone in a moment and has not come back.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:12 AM   #8

God shooting Steve especially the last one. I usually have some of these but none so far this year.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:15 AM   #9

Nice shots!

when I hear the name 'skipper' I always think of a boat first..

Thanks for sharing!
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote