Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:42 PM   #1

This was a fast moving subject so if the pictures are less then perfect I have a good excuse. Story is rather interesting though.

1. This wasp skimmed over the pond while I was looking for macro subjects.

2. She barely made it to the shoreline and started hauling her cicada up the bank.

3. No matter which way I went she turned and came right at me, making it hard to get a good shot.

4. Finally I sat down, and she climbed up me all the way to the top of my head, and used my height to launch herself away with her cicada.

My light shirt was glaring in that last shot so I grayed it out. I had asked Jennifer if she wanted go bug hunting with her Dad but she declined due to the heat. I sure wish she had been there to hand the camera to while this lady was climbing up me.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:36 PM   #2

Well Steve now you know you are attractive to wasps, we should be seeing plenty of close ups of them....LOL
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:51 PM   #3

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Well Steve now you know you are attractive to wasps, we should be seeing plenty of close ups of them....LOL
I do have a fair number of shots of wasps from right up close so maybe you are on to something there. Having seen enough Cicada Killers climbing high to fly with that large prey I had figured she thought I was just structure.

I have a next door neighbor who is allergic to stings and last time he was stung by a little yellow jacket my wife had to give him a shot of whatever and rush him to the hospital where he spent the next three days. I wonder what he would think if he saw a two inch wasp climbing on me.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:22 PM   #4

I got yo admit Steve that was quite a story. I do not think I would sit still while a wasp crawled to the top of my head though. Well done.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:45 PM   #5

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I got yo admit Steve that was quite a story. I do not think I would sit still while a wasp crawled to the top of my head though. Well done.
It has been quite a few years since I have been stung by anything so I was calm about it. The fact that there was a very fat cicada between me and the stinger helped also.

Thanks for commenting.