Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:55 AM   #1

Hello all! I have an FZ30 and I check out this forum and the dpreview forum. I read btw the two forums about a potential FZ60 coming out and wanted to know if anyone has heard about it. Panasonic usually releases their new cam in September. I see the FZ18 is coming out and it looks like an improvement over the FZ30, although the megapixels are the same. I believe the sensor is bigger and it goes to higher ISOs.
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:10 AM   #2

I believe the FZ18 is looking to be a nice improvement over the FZ8, but it still falls short in terms of the FZ30/50 because of the controls aspect of the thing. The toggle zoom and focus system will never be as good as the manual rings of the FZ30/50 and, for people who use flash alot, the hot shoe of the FZ30/50 makes using flash (TTL with the FZ50) a piece of cake without having to dicker with slaves that can sometimes be less than satisfactory both in terms of performance and consistency of quality.

Any speculation about an FZ50 replacementis just that right now...speculation. We do love to speculate over there on DPReview, but I've seen no one with any information better than what I coulddream up and post here as rumor, but I think I'll wait and see.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:23 PM   #3

I don't understand it. Every year around this time Panasonic announces their new flagship model. They did it three years in a row. First with the FZ-20 (don't know about the FZ-10, FZ20 was my initiation!), three summers ago. Two summers ago they announced the FZ30, which I bought. Last year was the FZ50 and I held off buying that camera because I was waiting for the new one to come out. And now the time is right, and nobody knows anything? How about those Panasonic reps that are lurking in this forum? What's up guys? What's the deal with the new camera. Will there be one this year? I love my FZ30 but I can only take it out in bright light. Otherwise I have a Canon 20D which works amazingly well in low to dim to almost no light at all. But it's big and bulky, and I love my Panasonic. I am ready for a new one. Am I the only one (the only 20/30 owner) who wants an upgrade?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:29 PM   #4

Well your timeframe is off the FZ10 was announced in oct 03 but the FZ20 - 30 and 50 were announced in July.

One rep said to pay attention around the first of Augbut that seems to have been the FZ18.......perhaps that means doom for the FZ60......I hope not....but then again if they shove more pixels in an already crowded sensor , not much cause for excitement.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:00 PM   #5

I'd say if they are going to release the fz60 it would be over the labor day weekend at the IFA in Berlin. They could have hit a snag if the lens changed from the usual 35-420 lens to a wider angle lens. Also the sensor could be a different size. Hopefully not smaller than the current 1/1.8" one. Just a change in sensor size would cause a delay.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:56 AM   #6

I am definitely for a larger sensor. Being a 20D owner, not a lover of canon or the camera (even though it is a pretty marvelous feat of achievement) I would love to see more image quality and higher ISO in the new Panasonic. That is all I need. But shooting indoors without a flash with my 20D has yielded my best work to date. My best outdoor photos are with the FZ30. My former fiancee had posted some of "our" work here last year, maybe the year before. The pictures are stunning. Maybe it's just my belief but I would rather take the FZ20/30 to the beach b/c it is fully enclosed without being able to detach the lens rather than my 20D. I know the saltwater is a real killer, but I love shooting at and around the beach esp. in Hawaii.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:48 PM   #7

Is this what you mean?
Attached Images

tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:08 AM   #8

wow, that looks like a monster! What is it? Can anyone speak Italian? Looks like it has interchangeable lenses. I like the idea of the one built in lens. Not looking for the Lumix to go pro. Already got a pro system, just lookin for the upgrade of the FZ50. Hope Panasonic heeds my call!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:36 AM   #9

I'm not interested in an also ran DSL. In fact I wonder if manufacturers know that there are people who aren't interested in DSL's period. I far prefer one camera to a bag of lens plus a camera. I'd much rather see a FZ60 with a larger sensor, better movie mode and a 28mm start on the zoom. I don't think a slight price increase would matter that much since DSL's cost far more once you start adding decent glass to the price.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:40 PM   #10

This seems to be a proto type with a weird looking lens..... called the L10

I wonder if it is a hybrid
The swivel LCD makes this a pretty hard to define camera..

I don't see the need to diss other camera types or brands though.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote