Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:51 AM   #1

I posted last week about the friendly hackberry butterflies at a local cemetery.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=23

A couple of posters mentioned having to work to get shots. I don't want to rub it in or anything, but just to share. Went to the cemetery today. Butterflies were still landing on me. Often on my yellow shirt or jean shorts, plus a lot on the back of my neck. Legs, all over.

Now and then one would land on my hand or let me put a finger in front of it so I could watch it up close. Finally had a nice one on my left hand.

While that butterfly is on my left hand one lands on my right hand and starts licking away or whatever it is they do with that long tube. I think to myself; I can get them both on the same hand and take their picture, that will make a great shot. Only problem is, I put them both on my right hand since I am a lefty and do that sortof thing. Then realized no way could I easily take the shot left-handed. I did try it with the timer, but at settings I had screen blacked out and I could not focus at all. Then one of them left. A learning experience for next time. Meanwhile, the one left just stared at me like this.

Oh well, maybe next time.

A few more just because.

A really dull Azure

A brighter one, but the wings are not sharp.

Skipper on Chicory.

Eastern Tailed Blue

I was kneeling by a phlox to attempt a damselfly when this guy landed a foot from my head. I had stacked tele converters on the camera and no time to fiddle, so I backed the zoom off all the way and hoped I would get a focused shto. It seems tolerabe.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2

Nice happy! I noticed in the last photo you said you had stacked teleconverter lenses on your camera. Which lenses are you stacking? Photos seem extremely sharp to have been taken with stacked lenses.

I've stacked TCON 14B on a TCON 17 but not with much success.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Nice happy! I noticed in the last photo you said you had stacked teleconverter lenses on your camera. Which lenses are you stacking? Photos seem extremely sharp to have been taken with stacked lenses.

I've stacked TCON 14B on a TCON 17 but not with much success.

DonR
That was a mistake. I meant stacked macro lenses but had tele converter on the brain as someone had just returned one to me.

Sorry for confusion.

Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:27 PM   #4

Nice captures Steve. You getting good at macro photgraphy.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Nice captures Steve. You getting good at macro photgraphy.

Emmanuel
Thanks Emmanuel. It is because the subjects are getting cooperative I'm sure.

Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:30 PM   #6

Great macros, Steve!
Just got a Raynox 150 ... got to get out and give it a serious try. I obviously hae a lot of catching up to do to emulate your shots !!!
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:35 PM   #7

WindRowe wrote:
Quote:
Great macros, Steve!
Just got a Raynox 150 ... got to get out and give it a serious try. I obviously hae a lot of catching up to do to emulate your shots !!!
I think I have only had these lenses a month, and throw away gobs of shots. There are times when I get a bunch of keepers all in a row, but the shots I really want I muck up, so I need more practice.

Have fun with your new lens.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:00 PM   #8

Nice set and great variety.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote