Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:17 PM   #1

Spent last weekend down at a place called Phillip Island. It was generally bleak and wintery and so we did not get out as much as I had hoped. I did get a couple of bird shots, nothing great, but there are a couple of birds that people may not have seen much of.

We stayed on a small farm and as we were inside a lot walking about the farm in the 5 minutes between rain was a highlight. During one of these I had this fella screaming at me

then its partner dive bombed

seems I was near the chicks, which I did not manage to get a shot of because I could only just see their heads above the grass. These masked lapwings scrape out a bit of dirt and lay their eggs anywhere. These two were in a paddock with some cows so I hope the chicks survive.

Paddock on the other side of our cabins had some yellow tailed thornbills, they are tiny as you can see by their size against the blades of grass.

We did get away from the farm for a bit and walked along the coast where there were the more familiar silver gulls

and some juvenile pacific gulls

on our way back we spotted some cape barren geese enjoying the rain soaked paddocks

I had been playing hide-and-seek with this flame robin for the three days we were there. He kept visiting the orchard but was very camera shy (or Raf shy)

and finally an australian bird post would not be complete without a parrot. This Galah came out from its nest in the tree hollow to check if it was OK for its mate to go and fetch some food.

Well hope you enjoyed the variety at least. The quality is not great as all were shot with a hand held Oly Tcon in fairly dim conditions and most are pretty big crops as well.

Rafael (eFZed30)
http://rafael.zenfolio.com/ (referral code on my page)

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:48 PM   #2

Well, I think the pictures are fine. I rather like those lapwings. And the stout looking legs on the geese.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:41 PM   #3

Good job with the birds Rafael.Some of them are very unususal looking.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:06 PM   #4

Thanks Steve and Emmanuel,

The lapwings ARE strange looking but they are merely plovers with face masks on, I believe. The geese do have stout legs, these are wild geese and live mostly on small island off the south coast of Australia so they need the strong legs to keep them walking into the constant roaring 40s wind that they face a lot. They are occasional visitors to mainland areas like this where they come for a bit of a feed and to stare at the strange animals with single lens reflex eyes.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5

Well done Rafael. Sorry you couldn't get out more. Would have liked to see more of the island.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:07 AM   #6

Looks like you did pretty well considering the weather and I do not think I would mess with that Lapwing.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:03 AM   #7

Thanks Don and Ted. You are right Ted I backed right away.