Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:55 AM   #1

of my wife.

I got back from my first photo class being taught by Rick Lang. It was a ton of fun and am looking forward to the next 7 weeks of classes to come. Interesting though everyone had Nikon or Canon DSRL's. I was the odd man out with my FZ50. Im curious to see how my camera fairs with the restwhen we get sent out for assignments.

When I got home I was in the mood to do a little shooting. My wife who was very tired from a long day of work and alsomade dinner for me played along with me for a fewshots.

Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:09 AM   #2

Nice shots. I went to a 1 day outdoor photography class in Dallas in the spring. Like your class, everyone had Canon and Nikon DSLR's. I did learn a few things but I was the only P&S user there with my V-LUX 1. I did find out that my camera would do a lot of things their's would not. I think it kind of ticked them off that I could get the quality photos I was getting with a lowley P&S.

Hope you enjoy the class. It sounds like a great class, being 7 weeks long and with assignments. You will learn a lot and itshould make a better photographer out of you just for the fact that you will be doing your best to out do their DSLR's. The fundamentals are the same with either camera. You have more range without changing lenses all the time but will probably fall short in really low light shots. Just remember that no camera is perfect.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:23 AM   #3

Enjoy your class, it will be interesting to see how you do against the DSLRs.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:23 AM   #4

I like her rolled eyes in number 3. Have fun and learn a lot and keep us informed.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:15 PM   #5

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
You have more range without changing lenses all the time but will probably fall short in really low light shots. Just remember that no camera is perfect.

DonR
True but thats why I got the FL36 flash for this camera, that I used in these shots. But im so tempted to get the Panasonic L1 with the great price there going for.

Thanks for commenting and looking.

Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:31 PM   #6

Serafin wrote:
Quote:
d-sr wrote:
Quote:
You have more range without changing lenses all the time but will probably fall short in really low light shots. Just remember that no camera is perfect.

DonR
Quote:

True but thats why I got the FL36 flash for this camera, that I used in these shots. But im so tempted to get the Panasonic L1 with the great price there going for.

Thanks for commenting and looking.
Quote:
If money is no object a DSLR does take betterphotos but don't forget to figure how much the lenses will cost to get the same reach you already have. Good luck. DonR
Quote:

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:37 PM   #7

Hope you enjoy your classes. Sounds like fun. I recently did some locally and I think it helped a lot. Like you I was surrounded by a sea of DSLRs. What the class helped to reinforce was that the photographer is more important than the tool as some of those DSLR produced pretty average results, or rather their owners did.

As I looked through the pics, I though you were in toruble by pic 3, but obviosuly your natural charm won you wife over by the end. LOL Nice shots.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:27 AM   #8

Forget the L1. Your FZ50 is all you need! I love the shots. You can capture a mood! You are more than half way there. Can I make a suggestion? Ok, I am going to do it. Try some pics with natural light. A lamp placed next to your wife. You can also hang a white sheet on the other side of the lamp (ex if the lamp is on the left of her, hang the sheet on her right side). I am sure you are going to learn lighting and I should keep my big mouth shut, but....being born and raised in Brooklyn, that is an impossibility. Your wife is an excellent subject. Your sense of framing is excellent, I just think hitting her with the flash directly from the camera is not flattering her face as much as other techniques, you could also bounce the light off of one of the side walls if the flash swivels to the side.

Just to let you know, I have the FZ30 and I have a Canon EOS 20D system with a couple of lenses, and I love the Panasonic, have to use the Canon for some pro purposes but as great (and it is an awesome cam) as it is, the Panasonic really floats my boat. I always view electronics as toys for us adult "boys", and the Panasonic seems like the ultimate, it has everything, esp your 50 cause it has higher ISOs, right? Like 1600? the only reason that I would ever pull out my 20D over my FZ30 is b/c of the ISO3200 speed indoors, I have so many great pics of my kids that I would have never been able to get with the FZ30, but I know the new FZ18 has an ISO of 1600. The FZ30 even at ISO 100 becomes too noisy, primarily when you try to crop, b/c it enlarges the image a bit. Sorry for the rambling, I just am excited about photography, and I am excited for you. I wish I was in your shoes, taking a photo class, just starting the learning process.... You will love it, every step of the way. Photography is amazing, and we are living in an amazing time, with the advent of all this technology. Good luck, my friend, and if you need any help, don't hesitate to send me a message! --Hank
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote