Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:45 PM   #11

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Those are great shots happy! You and a few others make it look so easy.These shotsmake my spider look like a beginner took it. I just can't get the hang of the macro lenses with their short DOF and just have to go with the camera macro. I have a Nikon 6T that I'm thinking of giving up on and selling just for that reason.

DonR
Well, I would not rush into giving up your lens. If nothing else it is fun to try, and if you take enough shots you will find a gem now and then.

What I do when taking shots with the macro lens or lenses on quite often is back off on the zoom, sometimes a lot. I want to be far enough away to use the flash and a high shutter speed and still have a large enough subject to do minimal or no cropping. I can't do that as good with just the camera macro mode. If you use a low zoom the DOF is deeper then at high or full zoom.

I just looked at your spider and read what you said about shooting conditions and they look fine to me. This mantis was below the fence line and in a protected from wind (sort of) area, and low enough I could kneel for the shots. Otherwise they would not be near as good. I took some of a mantis three feet away and higher in a phlox and there was no way I could either zoom this close or crop this good as the pictures are not near as sharp due to standing and a breeze.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:30 AM   #12

happy , what lenses did you use to get that magnificent result ?
robass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:41 AM   #13

Hi Happy, or Steve, is it? Sorry I am new to the group, but couldn't help but notice and give you the "props" you deserve on these pictures. They are incredible! So... if you don't mind sharing your secrets, did you put a macro lens on your FZ7 and if so what was it? If you don't mind showing us the man behind the mask. If you would rather keep it a secret, I just want to say, wow, I am impressed!
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:35 AM   #14

Thanks for commenting robass and Hank. My macro lenses are both Nikons; a 3T and a 4T. The diopter on the 3T is 1.5 and the 4T is 2.9. These are two element lenses that look like a thick filter. Both are 52mm threading which is the same as my camera. There is a 5T and 6T, same strength but 62mm threading. I use either lens or both together and don't really keep track. I know I only used one for the water droplet shot because it was at full zoom and the mantis head would not have fit in the frame with both. (edited to add, or maybe not. See next post in a few minutes.)

Both of these pictures are cropped a bit. I can't show you uncropped versions unless I can repair the computer the originals are on.

Here is a link to a little article about them. It mentions a few lenses but not the Raynox lenses that some here use with great success.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...-diopters.html

I tried to find a short link to a picture but could not. You can do a search on Amazon for them. Mine came from Ace Digital, ordered through Amazon.

By the way, settings when using the lenses are almost always manual mode, f/8 aperture and high shutter speed with flash. And I do not use the conversion lens setting on the camera. Occasionally I use aperture priority in bright sun, but I try and avoid bright sun as I cannot focus well due to glare on screen.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:34 AM   #15

Lenses compared. Not posted for quality. These are unedited/uncropped just taken in a moment where the rain slowed down. I was standing over a little pond and shaking.

Macro camera setting, no zoom. 4-6 inches away or so.

Macro camera setting, full macro zoom.

3T full zoom

4T full zoom

Both 3T and 4T stacked together. Full zoom.