Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1

This is not a very good shot but I wanted to share anyway. I thought some might get a kick out of seeing those two little flies with a death wish. I think they actually came to see if they could pick up any scraps from the larger fly that had just been eaten.

Then this larger fly flew up and the dragonfly plucked it out of the air and moved to the phlox with it.

This is not a large dragonfly. This one and a blue one moved in today and are eating quite well.

So what we have is: These guys moved in and are helping the ones already around catch flies. The mantids are killing off the bees, and (not yet posted) a lot of large nocturnal spiders are killing off the moths. Pretty soon I may have nothing left but predators and the Monarchs.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:21 PM   #2

Its a bug-eat-bug world.....again thanks for sharing this slice of natura in the raw.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:51 PM   #3

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
Its a bug-eat-bug world.....again thanks for sharing this slice of natura in the raw.
The warblers and kinglets - those little birds I posted pictures of in the Spring - they are returning on their fall migration to the warm Southern climes. And the mantids are easily large enough to capture them if one should wander too close. I hope it stays a bug-eat-bug world instead of turning into a bug-eat-bird one.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:15 PM   #4

Great captures Steve. I have seen pictures of a Mantis eating a Hummingbird, not pretty!!!!
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5

Great series. Looks like #4 needs a shave.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:17 PM   #6

Very nice captures Steve. Excellent close-up andsharpnes on the second captures.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:49 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments Ted, Don, Emmanuel. That second shot with the large fly was sort of a challenge to figure out a focus point due to the depth of the scene. I feel lucky it turned out relatively well.