Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:35 AM   #11

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
frogman946 wrote:
Quote:
Those are very impressive flash pics. Is the FL50 a Panasonic flash unit? If so would it also be compatible with the FZ30?
As mentioned above, you would need to use it in non-TTL auto, but that''s not a problem. It is, in fact, the mode I used for these pictures. The TTL function uses a pre-flash that can cause some subjects to close their eyes, so I typically do not use TTL with people, and the flash's built-inexposure systemis extremely accurate.

The nice thing about using the FL50 with the FZ50 is, even using non-TTL auto, since the camera and flash "talk" to one another, It's as easy as using the two in TTL mode, and in any exposure mode.

This Olympus Fl50 and the smaller, less expensive Olympus FL36 are, virtually, the exact same as the two Panasonic-branded flash units....justless expensive.I've even heard they are both built at the same factory.
Thanks for the reply Greg and Jape.

How does the Pana fl28 compare with the Oly fl50 or fl36 though?
frogman946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:51 AM   #12

frogman946 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Greg and Jape.

How does the Pana fl28 compare with the Oly fl50 or fl36 though?
Don't know that Panasonic flash. The only two I am familiar with are these two..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rand_Panasonic

The Olympus FL50 and Panny FL500 are virtual twins, as are thje Olympus FL36 and the Panny FL360.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:09 AM   #13

Frogman, if you have the FZ30, you can save money and buy a flash from Sunpack. I believe it is called the 383. It is an excellent flash and it costs $80 @ B&H and u probably can find it for a lower price. It can do bounce photography like in Greg's pictures. The other flashes are more expensive partly b/c of the TTL feature, which is pretty great on any camera. But our FZ30 doesn't have TTL, so to buy a TTL flash you are just wasting your money, unless you plan on upgrading to Panasonic's new cameras.
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:08 PM   #14

Hank355 wrote:
Quote:
Frogman, if you have the FZ30, you can save money and buy a flash from Sunpack. I believe it is called the 383. It is an excellent flash and it costs $80 @ B&H and u probably can find it for a lower price. It can do bounce photography like in Greg's pictures. The other flashes are more expensive partly b/c of the TTL feature, which is pretty great on any camera. But our FZ30 doesn't have TTL, so to buy a TTL flash you are just wasting your money, unless you plan on upgrading to Panasonic's new cameras.
Thanks Hank. I went looking for the Sunpak 383 to no avail. I live in Australia and it seems that this flash is not available here. Is this a recent model? Going to Singapore in the near future. Maybe available there.
frogman946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:10 AM   #15

The Sunpak 383 has actually been aound for a while. They brought it out to compete years ago with the Vivitar 283....pretty close model names, huh! And Inever thought it was a cooincidence.The two pretty much work the same, and the Vivitar 283 was THE workhorse flash for years before the Sunpak fit the market. I used one with both medium format filmcameras like a Rollieflex TLR and a Nikon F2 35mmcamera among others.

I know from comments over on DPReview in the Panasonicforum thatfolks over in Europe have a hard timefinding theSunpak brand too. If you can find any new stocks of the Vivitar 283, it would work exactly the same. Beware of buying second-hand Vivitars though. They've been around so long, some of the older examples run too high a current for digital cameras and might fry them.

ANY flash that offers non-TTL auto mode can be used with the Panasonic FZ30 or FZ50. A couple of older Nikon flashes I can think of that would work great and be relatively inexpensive and safesecond-handtoday would be the SB24 and SB25. They date from the Nikon F4 period.

Even the highest spec Nikon flash today, the SB800, still offers non-TTL auto modes. If you own these FZ cameras and want a DSLR but don't want a Panasonic DSLR, you could always go Nikon and buy the SB800 flash to work on both. The lower spec, cheaperNikon flash made today, the SB600, does NOT offer non-TTL auto.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:08 AM   #16

Frogman, Here's a link to b&H's site with the Sunpack model. You probably can get it cheaper on amazon.com but B&H is a pretty amazing company and maybe you could call and have them ship to Australia, th e U.S. price is $79.95:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uto_Flash.html

Amazon has it for slightly higher, but on the bottom right of the page it offers a few more companies (including Adorama) that have it cheaper than their $81.30:

http://www.amazon.com/SunPak-383-Sun...796&sr=8-1

good luck!

Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:18 AM   #17

Hey Lovelife, after reading your reply to this subject I went to a better bounce card. This man, could be a pedophile. Why? Ok, I have "come out of the closet" to a lot of people and let them know that I was sexually abused as a child. I went on to get a PhD in Psychology, just to understand the human mind and why people do horrible things. When I watched the first video, Peter Gregg, in the middle of the video says (and I might be paraphrasing b/c I didn't write it down), "Get yourself a child" and then he giggles but it is a demonic giggle, like you are getting a child to do illicit things with it. Maybe you think if you read this that I might be over exaggerating, or I might be biased, or even crazy. And you are right to have an opinion, but before you place a label on me, please watch the video. It is video #1. It is almost like it was an inside joke, and maybe. Maybe him and his friends joke around about children and taboo subjects, but it sent chills down my spine when I heard it. Please, I urge all of you to listen. It is quick but it is most certainly there. Please let me know what you think, even if you want to curse me out, or "put me in my place" I can take it, because if I am totally out of line, let me know. But if you ask any of my many friends, patients and fellow doctors, I am usually right on the money, but of course from one comment, I cannot definitevely point a finger, but why would he do that. Please give me your feedback. You can privately message me, or just reply. Also, as a sarcastic New Yawkah, what's with the microphone? Why can't he just speak, the camera, which goes in and out of focus, driving control freaks like me crazy, is like two feet from his mouth....
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote