Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1

Went to my parent's 50th wedding anniversary this past weekend & used the above combination to record several images both at their home and at the reception. This is why...when it comes to flash photography, the TZ3 stays in the bag..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2007, 1:58 PM   #2

Fantastic flash coverage with that setup. I'm very impressed.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:44 PM   #3

Wonderful flash, worked really well in such a standard situation.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:20 AM   #4

I am so thrilled with this idea it is not mine, darn right ugly but what results. You make this bounce card out of a flexible foam card and attach it to the side of a flash such as a Sunpak 383. The flash is directedstraight in the vertical position and the foam bounces a considerable amount forward with feathering light (not exactly on subject). If you are interested, go to this link.http://abetterbouncecard.com/

The third video shows how to create the feathering effect. He sells them but I made my own from the instructions.

Example

Wonderful family shots but they need a W/B and level adjustment.

PP is not a dirty word.

Before

After:

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:03 AM   #5

I like number 3 and 5 the best but all are good. I have the FL36 and have been very happy with it.

Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:13 AM   #6

great shots, makes me wanna upgrade to FZ50 and FL50 from my FZ30. And if that is the exact shot without pp it is pretty darn close! keep up the good work! And keep posting pics. It is one of my favorite things about this forum, all of the great photography!
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:12 AM   #7

Hank355 wrote:
Quote:
if that is the exact shot without pp it is pretty darn close! keep up the good work! And keep posting pics. It is one of my favorite things about this forum, all of the great photography!
Yes, I typically am the one posting the exact same thing in other posts likeLovelife did on my image so I can understand where he's coming from on the adjustment. I typically do post process, but just was in a hurry to get these up on my website for the family and was so pleased the FZ50 produced as good a set of images as it did without virtually any additionalPhotoshopwork on my part.

You can bet I'll be doing more than my share of post processing when I return from an upcomingtwo week trip to Paris (Sept 10-25). At least I won't be shooting all RAW like I did when we were there last year...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1547796#101325909
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:59 AM   #8

Those are very impressive flash pics. Is the FL50 a Panasonic flash unit? If so would it also be compatible with the FZ30?
frogman946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:32 PM   #9

Hi, the FL50 is compatible with the FZ30, but as the FZ30 doesn't support TTL, you need to set the flash manually. Very easy to setup, i'd recommend the purchase. It also means you can justify the upgrade to the FZ50 at some point
JaPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:29 PM   #10

frogman946 wrote:
Quote:
Those are very impressive flash pics. Is the FL50 a Panasonic flash unit? If so would it also be compatible with the FZ30?
As mentioned above, you would need to use it in non-TTL auto, but that''s not a problem. It is, in fact, the mode I used for these pictures. The TTL function uses a pre-flash that can cause some subjects to close their eyes, so I typically do not use TTL with people, and the flash's built-inexposure systemis extremely accurate.

The nice thing about using the FL50 with the FZ50 is, even using non-TTL auto, since the camera and flash "talk" to one another, It's as easy as using the two in TTL mode, and in any exposure mode.

This Olympus Fl50 and the smaller, less expensive Olympus FL36 are, virtually, the exact same as the two Panasonic-branded flash units....justless expensive.I've even heard they are both built at the same factory.