Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 18, 2003, 3:26 AM   #1

Default taking focused shots with image stablizer

Hello again,

First I would like to thank normjackson for the link so I could get an English version of the FZ1 manual.

I now have a few other issues. I have taken over 500 photos since I got my camera 10 days ago and have noticed that low light shots (like at a wedding) with the zoom, come out fuzz/out of focus. I thought this camera had the ability to take focused shots in lower light conditions because of the image stablizer.

I have tried many shots (in good light and low light) with the stablizer on and off. The photos seem almost identical. Could the darn thing be broken? If it is not, should I just get the Olympus? It has a higher resoultion with more manual functions.

Any suggestions?
yoojohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:56 AM   #2

Same with me. Tripod is obvious a must in such conditions. I was taking pictures of two football matches yesterday and all pictures from 5 pm were ok while almost all pictures from the match which began at 8 pm (artificial light, of course) were out of focus. But it's my first shooting like that, so I'm not really dissapointed. Tripod!
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:00 PM   #3

Was the blur, due to camera movement or was it because of the sports subject? Just 1 week ago, there were some road block activities near my house. There was some police car and some activities down there. I was curious, so took my FZ1 and took a few shots from 18 floors high, across two roads, lit by just street lights. The shutter speed was 1/8s. I took a dozen shots and only have to delete one or two due to camera movement. All other shots were sharp, including the people. I can even clearly read the police road block sign. The camera was handheld using the LCD with arms held close to chest. I found this to be most stable, much better than with the EVF where hands have to be held high.
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:33 PM   #4

It was because of camera movement, I'm sure. However, I put my elbows on a table (we have tables at press section, of course) and I still had some problems.
If you see my report from the match - this is the best picture Ive taken, so you really see I had major difficulties. However it is a little bit resized, I think...

http://www.liga.simobil.si/novice.asp?nid=372

I still don't have photo acreditations (I'll get them soon ) nor add-on teleconverters, so I couldn't zoom the way I'd like.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:34 AM   #5

Default Re: taking focused shots with image stablizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoojohnc
... have noticed that low light shots (like at a wedding) with the zoom, come out fuzz/out of focus. I thought this camera had the ability to take focused shots in lower light conditions because of the image stablizer. ...
I hadn't thought of that one yet. Probably because I didn't notice that kind of problem so far.

Now in my house I have this small hallway which, with all doors closed, is pitchblack dark. The clothes closet in there is a perfect subject to test the AF.

First I went outside (beautiful sunshine) and took a shot focused at infinity. I kept the camera powered on, lured my loving wife into the hallway, took a few shots in the dark of her (literally and, according to her, not for the first time either) and of the clothes in the closet. Then I switched the camera off, kissed my sweet wife (and did some other fun things with her), switched the camera back on again and took more shots. After I got my lovely wife's promise to come back later I left the door open to have low light (the LCD screen still completely dark) and again took shots of somewhat rearranged and different clothes.

I took all shots with camera flash and anti-red-eye active, except the one outside of course. The interval between anti-red-eye flash and main flash is +/- 1 second.

Well, the camera certainly does not use its pre-flash to focus, because all shots in pitchblack dark were unsharp. OTOH the shots in low light were well focused. It appears that, to focus correctly, the camera needs just a little light, some contrasting stuff in view of the metering system and no distracting pretty woman around.

The fact that LCD-screen and electronic viewfinder are useless in low light, seems the only problem that remains to be solved. As a workaround I keep the lens at its most wide-angle and just aim in the general direction of the subject (nothing unusual, dixit my witty wife). This is not so hard actually, because with adapter ring and skylight filter the lens barrel is 6.5 cm long (my wife ... No, I'd better not tell).

No, I'm *not* showing the shots in the dark, but to illustrate handheld sharpness at full tele and 1/60 there is
http://users.pandora.be/cisken/photo...nals/Uriel.JPG
E Pericoloso Sporgersi is offline   Reply With Quote