Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:45 PM   #1

Newbie needs help...

Was waiting for a new FZ60, but looks like it may not be coming. The Fz18 looks pretty good.

Could anyone explain the major differences between the FZ50 and the new Fz18??

Thanks..
geotlyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:04 AM   #2

geotlyrae wrote:
Quote:
Newbie needs help...

Was waiting for a new FZ60, but looks like it may not be coming. The Fz18 looks pretty good.

Could anyone explain the major differences between the FZ50 and the new Fz18??

Thanks..
First, no one knows an FZ50 replacement is not coming. Speculation runs rampant and lord knows, we all love to speculate, but no one knows anyfirst-hand knowledge about what Panasonic's up to.No, it didn't come today. It probably won't come tomorrow and in all liklihood won't come next week.That doesn't mean it won't come later. It might not come at a convenient time for you or I, but that does not mean it's not coming...

Abigger sensor, flip LCD, manual focus and zoom rings,dedicated flash shoe and ability to mount accessory lenses and the hood without an adaptorare the main differences that still make theFZ50 a camera many serious users would still pick over an FZ18. If I needed to pick one as a backup for my current FZ50....it would be another FZ50. Not even the extra zoom range and 28mm wide end does it for me with the FZ18. As long as I have my PanasonicDMW-LW55 wide lens that converts the FZ50 wide end to 24mm, I'm set there.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:56 AM   #3

Greg seems to be very wise, and he seems to be friends with Hank, who is my guy, on this forum, so I would listen to Greg. I just purchased the FZ50 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I went to Parsons School of Design for photography, of course this was in the 80's but we were taught never get a lens that has too much coverage, like 28mm-300mm, because the low end starts to look like a fish-eye (which is cool for an effect, but not all of the time), and you get distortion at the telephoto end, and with the old pre-digital lenses you get a darkening around the perimeter, esp the corners of your photo. 18x seems a bit much, I have never been in a situation that my FZ50/FZ30 couldn't handle, and I work for a big ad agency that requires the utmost professional photo quality. Of course, I was tempted to get an FZ18 when they announced it, just to try. Esp. being that my company pays for my equipment. I know, I am extremely lucky. It was worth busting my butt in school to get the job that I have now. But stick with the FZ50, or.... if you don't need the higher ISO's look for a used FZ30, I have taken hundreds of thousands of pics with it, and it still works fine, it is a battle horse. I think the FZ50 is better though, even after reading Hanks entry, and Hank knows what he is talkin' about, he is like Weegee, one of the old timers, but I don't think any of us can out shoot him. I am trying to get him to give me lessons, being that we live near each other. Sorry for the tangent, I am just excited when I meet masters like that , it makes you strive to be a better person/photographer. Good luck, and post pics when you get your camera, whichever you choose.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:51 PM   #4

Thanks Nancy and Greg..

I'll be taking a cruise for my daughters wedding in November and was waiting for the announcement for the upgrade of the FZ50. All the noise hype discouraged me to buy it earlier. When the FZ18 was announced, I thought it may be a better deal. I guess I may be wrong. I'll be purchasing the camera very soon.
geotlyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:38 PM   #5

I agree that the FZ50 might be the better camera for a "serious user". But I think the FZ8 and maybe the FZ18 make more sense for the average user.

Pick them up in a store. There is a large difference in size and weight. The FZ8 is less than half the weight of the FZ50 and the FZ18 only slightly more than the FZ8.

There is also a large difference in price online between the FZ8 and FZ50. I would guess the FZ18 will fall into the FZ8 price range once it has been around for a while.

Unless you plan to use an external flash, carry auxiliary lenses etc your photos will be just as good from the FZ8. The larger sensor on the FZ50 has no significant pixel density advantage and the noise levels are about the same. You have more total pixels with the FZ50, but unless you plan to make very large prints or have to crop a lot 7Mp is plenty for most users.

The FZ50 has some usability features I like. The manual zoom ring is far superior to a switch IMO. I don't know of a non-DSLR that has manual focus and the FZ50 is no exception. But the electric ring is in the right place. The focus switch on the barrel is extremely well designed. But I'm not that sure the average user manually focuses that often on an EVF camera.

If you are going to buy and carry aux lenses, external flash etc I think a DSLR like a stabilized K10D makes more sense than a FZ50. And I think the FZ8 and possibly the FZ18 make more sense for the average user.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:09 PM   #6

slipe wrote:
Quote:

Pick them up in a store. There is a large difference in size and weight. The FZ8 is less than half the weight of the FZ50 and the FZ18 only slightly more than the FZ8.

If you are going to buy and carry aux lenses, external flash etc I think a DSLR like a stabilized K10D makes more sense than a FZ50. And I think the FZ8 and possibly the FZ18 make more sense for the average user.

The same thing that applies in paragraph one above between an FZ18 and FZ50 also applies in paragraph 2when comparing an FZ50 to DSLR and multiple lenses in terms of weight and bulk....no, actually, it's worse when comparing a DSLR outfit to an FZ50, ESPECIALLY if you are looking at DSLR lenses that match the speed of the lens fitted to the FZ50.I've just dumpedmy DSLR outfitbecause I was sick and tired of hauling a 3 lens outfit around. The FZ50 and DMW-LW55 I now use, which gives me a focal length range of 24-420mm doesn't weight as much as my DSLR did with no lens, and I'm not talking about a Canon 1Ds, but a"relatively" lightweightOlympus E300. I can even add my OlympusFL50 flash to the bag with the FZ50 and wide angle converter and still come in weighing less than the E300 and the one standard 14-54 Zuiko zoom.

Unless you shoot sports or weddings exclusively, I see little advantage for the typicalamatuer userin a DSLR and multiple lenses over a camera like the FZ50 after having used DSLR's exclusively for almost 4 years and now the FZ50 for the past few months. Many people who use DSLR's, whether they'd like to admit it or not, don't NEED a DSLR to shoot what they shoot. Add the program PTLens to correct what distortion you do get with the DMW-LW55 fitted to the FZ50and I get images today with that combination as nice as when I was using a 24mm f2.8 Nikkor years ago with my Nikon film SLR's...

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:01 AM   #7

The Review & Specs are great. Like all EVEF Super-Zooms, it is STILL MISSING ONE LAST IMPORTANT FEATURE: A quick-turning MECHANICAL ZOOM RING for sports and fast moving action (coming towards & away from the camera). If they add that one item, and it will "replace many SLRs" in the market place.
mmayer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:02 PM   #8
Ige

I got my FZ50 on Tuesday.(I had a FZ10 before). I think it's getting better and better as I use it. Superb sharp lens, manuell zoom, manuel fokus ring. The two turning wheels for program shift are very useful, too.I tried the ISO 1600 settingtogether with ISO 100 (+ LEVELS in PS) ina dark place. TheISO1600 was MUCH better (nearlynoiseless). And possibility to use an external flash! I owned a FZ10 before and loved it, but the FZ50 is a step up.
Ige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:33 PM   #9

Honestly, the FZ-18 might surprise everyone! At least, I am hoping that is the case, as I went ahead and ordered the FZ-18 today 09/15.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:03 PM   #10

Way to go, Sarah! I hope that soon we'll be able to see how it compares with the H9! I too have high hopes for the FZ18. In my case, the FZ50 is not a choice since I already have the Sony R1. However, the FZ18 may be the replacement for all 12x zoom cams I have!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote