Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:11 PM   #1

I saw the specs on the FZ50 and it says that it can accept SDHC (high capacity) cards but "recording capacity" goes unspecified. I was wondering has anyone used the SDHC 4 gig card? Or just the SD 4 gig? I know it doesn't work in the FZ30 which is why I am asking. Thanks in advance guys!
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:16 PM   #2

Hank355 wrote:
Quote:
I saw the specs on the FZ50 and it says that it can accept SDHC (high capacity) cards but "recording capacity" goes unspecified. I was wondering has anyone used the SDHC 4 gig card? Or just the SD 4 gig? I know it doesn't work in the FZ30 which is why I am asking. Thanks in advance guys!
I am using a Sandisk 4GB SDHC- a "regular speed" blue and red card.It's in my FZ50 right now and came with a cool little mini reader, which I am glad it had because the generic card reader I had plugged into my computer couldn't read it. Gives great capacity. At the highest quality JPEG level it shows to have the capacity tohold799 images, but "only" 171 RAW files!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:21 PM   #3

Thanks Greg! I have the same card, and it came with the card reader. I, too, tried having my computer read it and it failed. I called the company and they explained that the SDHC is like its own format, so you need a reader that can specifically read it. Of course, you can just use your camera to read it. But I was on vacation and I didn't bring cables, and my laptop has a SD slot which is what I use.

One other quick question, in reading the specs it said that when recording video, you are limited by a 2 gig file size. I know that 2 gigs gives you roughly 20min of video. does that mean that if I try to continously record on my 4 gig card, the video will stop at the 2 gig mark? Or can I record continously until the card finishes?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:31 PM   #4

That's a good question about the video, butI've never tried even one second of video on my FZ50 so I'm not sure.

My Wolverine 40 GB image tank can't readthe 4GB cardeither, so next week when I leave on my trip to Paris for 15 days, I'll simply fill this card, then turn to my three 2GB Sandisk Ultra cards that will download to the image tankto finish the trip.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:36 PM   #5

The way I read the manual after approx. 2GB have been filled you have to press the shutter release again to continue recording, so if you timed it right, you might miss a split second out of the total time.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:57 PM   #6

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it. I just bit the bullet and bought the FZ50. I am going upstate to the Wine Festival in Rhinebeck, NY, so I will post pics with my new cam when I get back. Have a great trip to Paris!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:59 AM   #7

Hank, I know u said u just bought the FZ50, but what I see is that you can record a full 24 minutes with the SDHC 4 gig card in the camera. Also, you can definitely get a SDHC 8 gig card that will work in the FZ50, but anything below a 4 gig card, in SDHC, won't work with the FZ50. Hope this is helpful.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:49 AM   #8

You know what will work with the imagetank ( or at least I think it will as it works with my hyperdrive) get a CF to sd adapter put the sdhc card in the adapter and my hyperdrive will read it then.

Perhaps if you can borrow an adapter to try.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
That's a good question about the video, butI've never tried even one second of video on my FZ50 so I'm not sure.

My Wolverine 40 GB image tank can't readthe 4GB cardeither, so next week when I leave on my trip to Paris for 15 days, I'll simply fill this card, then turn to my three 2GB Sandisk Ultra cards that will download to the image tankto finish the trip.
The OP asked if a regular 4gb card will work in the FZ 50, its my understanding ,it will not. Some people have said that the FZ50 will use 2 gb of the 4 but others say thats not true. It will not see the card....I have not tried.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote