Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:47 AM   #11

Very interesting post, HANK 355, although this is nothing new to me.

I am very very sad not to have taken a FZ30 when I could (I still have and use my nearly 3 years old FZ20). FZ30 is a real big improvement over the 20, both in IQ (mainly for the 3 extra Mp and maybe also in WB) whereas IMO the FZ50 is only better than 30 in the high ISO and better WB "fine tune". The reason I didn't buy a FZ50 is that viewed at 100% the pics are too smudged even at ISO 100.

With FZ20 I can nearly (sometimes I do with macro) use 100% crops, whereas 100% crops of FZ50 are IMO quite unuseable owing to TOO MUCH NR.
Too bad they didn't insert one more level in the 3 steps image settings (Sharp/Contr/SAt/NR).
I do big PP but don't want to shot each pic as RAW !

So resolution wise FZ50 is not same definition as FZ30, but even worse (and I already knew that) despite the 2 additional MP. Is this technological improvement or a shame?

If we don't press for better FULL RESOL. pics, they'll go on producing exaggerated MEGAPIXELS vert small CCDs, in which images can be used only starting from half their size resizing !!! What's the use in that?
The only solution would be a foveon-like 3 layers small ccd for more resolution at not stellar MP counts. NR algorithms will always destroy too many fine texturesdetails...

Narmer

http://www.francescoraffaele.com

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:56 PM   #12

Thanx Narmer, I thought I was going crazy. Didn't think about the raw thing, though. I am not great with raw files but I am curious to see the raw image from the camera. I was just worried that my FZ30's shutter wasn't going to last much longer. But even if it doesn't I will send it back to Panasonic to have fixed. Of course I am in the same dilemma, loving the FZ cameras but not being able to use the higher ISOs. I usually switch to my 20D but that cam is a monster, a monster that takes phenominal pics, but it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that I love about my FZ30 esp. being able to do video. It is nice to look back at a folder that is 3-5 years, remember the pics that you took, usually cause u printed them or put them in a slide show. But then seeing that video file, and playing it after not seeing it for years, brings back the feeling of the moment, a moment that you looked at over and over with the pics but the vid brings you back. Maybe i am just nostalgic, but I love the ability to make mov files!
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:21 AM   #13

Hank

I don't care about movies: bought my FZ20 early in Jan 2005, never made a video.
But I m actually at "P1660290" which means 66.290 (or 65.290?) photos, and it still has no problem.

Wish I had a FZ30, for the better res. and swivel LCD, not extending fast switching lens, 2 WB storing, 8 Mp, 60sec... and many more reasons...
I am perfectly aware of the superior qualities of dSLR (20D is great) but cannot stand to have to take with me more heavy bags (I do lot of trekking) for lenses...
But I am still undecided about taking a FZ50, mainly for I fear that I d be disappointed by the LOW ISO IQ (while I d like even much noise reduced High isos capabilities).
I only wished it had a "very low NR" (jpg) option other than raw.

FR

www.francescoraffaele.com
Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:44 AM   #14

I checked and it has a NR setting. By default it is set to standard, but you can set it to low or high. I have been busy but I would like to run my test again with the NR set to low.
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:59 AM   #15

I permanently set NR to LOW in my FZ20.

IT d be good a further test, although I already know that even at LOW NR, FZ50 has still much more aggressive NR than FZ30 at STANDARD.

On my FZ20, the average difference between same pics taken at LOW or STD Noise Reduct. is around (generally less than) 100Kb, thus very very few...

http://www.francescoraffaele.com

MY MACROs