Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1

I bit the bullet and got the FZ50. Unfortunately, the FZ30 is a bit sharper even when comparing ISO 100 to ISO 100, being that the FZ30 can go down to ISO 80, where there clearly is an image difference for the better. The higher ISOs on the 50 look OK, and I say that loosely. I was hoping to shoot ISO 1600 and 3200 indoors with b&w for an effect and I tried it, and it looks better than color but its not great. I will have to stick to my 20D for indoor pics, unless using the flash. I have never posted pictures, but I took pictures of my cars at different ISOs with both cameras. Then I cropped the registration info. First I will post the FZ30 at ISO 100 followed by the FZ50 at the same ISO. Then I will show ISO 80 on the FZ30:
Attached Images

Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2

Here's ISO 100 with the FZ50
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3

and now the FZ30 going down to ISO 80:
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:25 AM   #4

It looks to me like there's a heck of a lot of NR on the FZ50 because look at the number 2008 in red. It is clearer in the FZ30 pic but there is definitely more noise. It seems to me it is almost better to have the extra noice coupled with sharpness and detail rather than a camera that gets rid of it, or can we adjust the NR on the FZ50, I am sure we can. I literally got the camera about an hour ago. I do like the camera and being that I am not doing any spy work to document people's registrations, I am sure in real life situations it won't be a big deal, but I just wanted to point out to everyone what I found. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5

I will post the full shots at ISO 100 and if anyone can tell me how they get more than one pic on a post please let me know. Here is the FZ30 at ISO full pic (downsized with no pp)
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:32 AM   #6

And now the FZ50 at ISO 100 resized the same way with no pp:

Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:29 AM   #7

How come nobody is responding to poor Hank's hard work? What is wrong with this forum lately? I remember the old days, where we were all best friends and working together to make each other better photographers. Thank you very much Hank for your hard work. I know nobody is paying you to do this and I appreciate the posts. I like you! You are honest and straightforward. You are a New Yawkah, like me. We should get together, grab some beers and go shootin'. Message me and let me know if you are interested.

Down to business. Ok, the second car pic is further away than the first, so when you blow it up, you will have to enlarge it to a greater size thereby diminishing the quality of the pic. So the test, which I admire your time and effort, isn't exact. Also the Fz30 shot at 1/400 at f5.6 while the FZ50 shot at f5.6 at a shutter speed of 1/320, thereby letting more light into the camera. And you can see that in the close-ups of the registrations. Had the shutter speed be higher, it would have darkened the photo a bit and maybe would have made the 2008 look sharper. It is hard to say. I see in the metadata that you were using the normal program mode. Maybe you should have metered and taken the picture using both cameras with the same ISO at the same exact shutter and fstop. And also take it from the exact standing point. Because in the FZ50 shot you are further away from the car, or you zoomed in in the first pic. Either way, I think the results do show that the FZ30, while noisier is sharper. I don't think the difference of 1/80 and the little difference in distance to the car is significant. But if you are running a test, you should be as exact as you can be. I hope you aren't upset by my comments. While I haven't posted in awhile, I do appreciate your joining this forum. You are a fresh voice and I, for one am happy that you joined, I hope you stay. I will try to post more often. Nancy
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:22 AM   #8

Hey Nanc, thanx for the post. I appreciate it. Sorry didn't get back 2 u sooner, I headed upstate for the Wine festival in Rhinebeck, but it is so rainy, I decided not to go. I am still up here and if the rain holds out I will check out an outdoor festival in Bethel Woods, that is the place where the original Woodstock festival was held. I actually realized what you pointed out, re-shot with the FZ50 @ 1/400 @f5.6. Unfortunately the sun must have gone in a bit so the lighting was off. But that 2008 was still just as blurry. So being that the lighting was off, I was going to re-run the whole test setting the cameras on manual, and making sure that I am the same distance.But, like my preliminary results, the FZ50 is less sharp, I can prove it when I get back to civilization on Monday/Tues. But your observation was keen. I appreciate it, and I was quite dissappointed that nobody else responded, yet my post was looked at over 90 times. Mahalo for the advice (I have been to Hawaii a few times myself- and check ur messages, I replied to your offer....)
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:33 AM   #9

Regarding your question about placing multiple images in one post, I simply unprotect my images already loaded to my Smugmug account, right click on them to copy, then paste them to this page, creating a web link. I don't know you can do multiple images without first having them on the web somewhere. in using web links, the EXIF info also stays in tact without any additional work on my partfor anyone wanting to see the data from the file.

Here's a few low-lightimages I've shotin preparation for my 15 day Paristrip that begins tomorrow. These were shot in a cathedral or other low-lit areashere in Dallas with my FZ50.

This first file was shot with the Panasonic DMW-LW55 fitted, giving me an equivalent focal length of 24mm at the wide angle end of the zoom..

When viewed at the full, original size, you can read the year "2007" on the maincandle in this image..

This is the center stained-glass window over the alter. I shot it from the back of the church..

This next image was VERY dark, and required a 1/3 second shutter speed at ISO 200 at f3.2. I rested the camera on the back of a pew..

Here, I zoomed in, took a spot meter reading of only the stained glass, locked the exposure, zoomed back to the focal length I used to take the image, and shot..

While I am certain there are differences for the better at ISO 80 with the FZ30, the reality of the situation is, it takes looking at something the way you've done it to see those differences, and I rarely view my images at 100% on screen. I alsodon't view printed and framed16x20 pictures from 2 feet....thats kind-of what you do when you zoom to 100% and sit in your chair looking at an image on the monitor at 100%.

As long as I am dealing with static subjects such as this, I have no issues getting what I want with my FZ50 in almost any type light, bright or low. I don't deviate from Auto ISO, which will use ISO settings only up to 200, including intermediate settings such as ISO 125 and 160 that I cannot manually set,and I use spot metering indoorswith low-lit subjects so the meter does not include the shadows in the exposure calculation, which will always blow the highllights and cause more noise. There are times I will use ISO 400. In those situations, I shoot RAW and manually set that ISO.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:28 PM   #10

Being an FZ7 owner I can't really discuss your two cameras although it seems you have a couple good responses already.

I host my pictures on flickr which does not have a copyable image link like smugmug.
I write my own and keep it in a text document for easy pasting here when doing a multiple post. I have multiple lines of the codes below on the document.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The top one gets the image location url put between the two img's, and the the url for the flickr page holding the photo (or any other flickr page I choose) after the = sign. That keeps flickr happy as their TOS says pictures must link back to them. The second one is if I want to just have an image (could be from anywhere) with no external link.

You can also do the same thing with Photobucket that Greg mentioned for Smugmug.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote