Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:51 PM   #1
Ige

My faithful FZ10 ended it's life under my car last week. And now I'm searching for a new camera. I loved the Panasonic as an all-round/vacation camera with that long range, but what shall I choose now. A friend has a FZ30 and prize it. But FZ30 is out of stock now (buy used?) so it has to be a FZ50. Another friend (who is a Canon-man) tells me to get the new Canon Powershot S9. The S9 has a shorter range, but is maybe better in the dark (higher ISO). Can somebody tell me the benefit of buying a FZ50 instead of the S9 or other cameras - (I will use the camera as a "vacation" camera there for I like/need long tele and a SLR will be to much carrying several long lenses).
Ige is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:01 PM   #2
Ige

Mistake, the Canonshould beG9 - not S9
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:53 AM   #3

Do you like the long zoom of the FZ10? if so the FZ8 and 50 are great cameras and I imagine the FZ18 will also be fine.

The G9 is a fine camera....but its not an ultrazoom
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:54 AM   #4
Ige

Yes, it is a difference between 6x and 12x when photographing. But do we really need 12x now when the cameras has a 10 - 12 mill. sensor ? Can we just make a cut / crop the picture to what we want - (the size of it will have enough "points" to make it usable??)
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

IMHO no you can not.......you canget amuch better cropwith a camera with a large sensor such as a DSLR. (less noise)

To double the cropability of a sensor , all other things such as noise excluded, you would need to go from a 6 mp sensor to a 24 mp sensor not a 12 mp sensor.

But only you can decide if that is of any importance to you at all.

If I did not like an ultrazoom......I really doubt I would own a Panasonic, while I was thrilled with theFZ line ......I am not impressed with their other offerings
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Ige

In fact I do like the LUMIX very much. I did have a FZ10 for 3 years and loved it. But when it broke I looked for another LUMIX (FZ50). But I have Canon-friends that try to persuade me to by a G9. But I think the FZ50 is more all-round /versatile f.x. when travelling. Do you agree ?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7

I do...if you like the ultrazoom it seems the FZ50 is at the top of that catagory.....some people just can not get Canon out of their head....but the G9 is a good camera.

But IMHO the FZ50/FZ8 blow the canon ultrazoom (S5 IS) out of the water.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:42 PM   #8
Ige

I purchased the FZ50 today ! Seemed very nice. Some "improvements" since the FZ10...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:09 PM   #9

Ige wrote:
Quote:
I purchased the FZ50 today ! Seemed very nice. Some "improvements" since the FZ10...
Yes, but there is a definite loss of picture sharpness and color rendition. I would have bought two used FZ10's
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote