Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:29 PM   #21

That sounds REALLY great, Jerry-

I apologize that I could not help you out on a moment's notice. Thanks for understanding. You make life a whole lot more bearable, when there are so many things to get done before we leave. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:09 AM   #22

I like that first shot Sarah. I am amazed that your first shot is not full zoom, but then, that new wide angle ability is well worth checking out also I guess.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:01 AM   #23

Steve-

It will really be fun when I get some real time to myself to carefully go through the documentation, and learn all the fine details.Thus far, it looks to be a great camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:09 PM   #24

Anybody know if the lens will accept accessory lenses?

If so, what is the thread size?

Thanks in advance
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:05 AM   #25

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Anybody know if the lens will accept accessory lenses?

If so, what is the thread size?

Thanks in advance
I tried putting the Panasonic link for the page discussing this camera but the link was way to long and I did not feel like switching browsers to use a link shortener. But, if you go to the Panasonic page it has tech. specs., and they do say yes for conversion lens. And they list as an accessory a close up lens with 52 in the name so I am guessing it will accept 52 mm lenses. Which works for me if I ever get one as my FZ7 add-ons are that size.

My concern reading the tech. specs is that the widest zoom aperture is f/4.2 instead of the f/3.3 of my FZ7.

Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:09 AM   #26

Yes, the FZ18 does accept conversion lenses but it requires the DMW-LA3 lens adaptor (optional accessory). This adaptor has a 55mm thread mount so the popular Oly TCON 17 will fit w/o the need for any stepping ring.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:48 PM   #27

From a Japan review of the FZ 18 ..looks like some impressive photos

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle...news076_4.html

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/lifestyle...news076_5.html
JerrysonycanonandmaybeLumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:48 PM   #28

Just ordered the FZ18. From what I've read so far, the two negatives are too muchnoise at ISO greater than 400 and poor dynamic range due to the small sensor size. I can certainly live with the noise as I rarely go above 800 even with cameras that can handle noise well. Now, the dynamic range limitation can be an issue, so I'm thinking that if I lower the resolution to 7 or 6 MP and use some exposure compensation, I can get more out of it. I just can not pass on that lens. By the looks of it, barrel distortion and pin cushion is practically non-existent aswell asPF and CA. The wide angle and long zoom just add a lot of versatility to it. However, my guess is that Panasonic will soon releasea new 18x model (something similar to what Nikon did with the D40 and D40x)with a larger sensor and perhaps 10 MP and charge $499+ for it. It just seems like $399 is a veryaggressive price for what the camera has to offer. Any thoughts anyone?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:38 AM   #29

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
. Now, the dynamic range limitation can be an issue, so I'm thinking that if I lower the resolution to 7 or 6 MP and use some exposure compensation, I can get more out of it.
Congratulations in advance on your new camera. I am curious as to the logic behind this statement. It seems to me that since lowering resolution comes from the camera using less of the sensor, that the dynamics of the photos would be the same except that they would be smaller photos if enlarged to full size.

I know Jerry asked in an earlier post if lower resolution would give better pictures and I had this thought then also.

Steve
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:44 AM   #30

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
However, my guess is that Panasonic will soon releasea new 18x model (something similar to what Nikon did with the D40 and D40x)with a larger sensor and perhaps 10 MP and charge $499+ for it. It just seems like $399 is a veryaggressive price for what the camera has to offer. Any thoughts anyone?
Waiting for the 'next, better, upgraded' model is an unending gameintroducedwhenconsumers became aware of yearly upgrades of personal computers. None the less, that's why I'm putting off my own purchase of the FZ18.:roll:

I'm wishing...just hoping...that there will be a FZ60 or '70 or whatever with a couple more features, a larger sensor, and this great 18X lens. That's not too much to ask, is it?

So, from now until Spring my FZ10 can teach me some more stuff and I'll try to curb my envy of the FZ18 owners. And I'll play the game that I can't win...

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote