Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2007, 2:31 PM   #51

That is a very measurable improvement, Wirraway-

I actually prefer to use the FZ-18 in the P for Program made and apply the ISO setting using the ranges option. Most of all I limit the ISO setting to a Max of ISO 400. In that photo that Wirraway worked on what you really needed was some fill flash to balance the light in the foreground area with the background area.

The Halloween photo I posted used a fill flash to balance out the foreground and background lighting. I think you willget better photos staying away from those automatic modes.Don't hesitate to use fill-in flash to light your shadowed areas of your photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:43 PM   #52

JerrysonycanonandmaybeLumix wrote:
Quote:

taken in intelligent auto mode, ISO 100. The subject came out great ! However, note the washed out tree leaves and washed out building in the sunlight (in the background)
You'll see the same building in the photo below

One trick I've used in this setting is to lock the exposure on something inbetween the light and dark, say the girls hair in the background left and then recompose the shot the way you want it. This will usually strike a a happy medium on exposure and you canadd just a little fill flash with your software if needed.

Of course, that's assuming the FZ18 has an AF/focus/exposure lock that you can set for exposure lock only.

DonR

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:47 PM   #53

Sarah, you did not comment on the other three pictures you posted (as Jerry requested). Did you take those pictures or you were just using them as examples of what the FZ18 is capable of?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:58 AM   #54

Tullio-

Firstly I personally took all of the FZ-18 photos that I posted. The folkdancers in Funchal was taken using fill flash, The "Andre and Francine" photo was an existing light photo, and the children who were 60 feet away was taken with fill flash.

You may harbor whatever whatever suspicions or intents thatyou might desire, however, since our discussion on the FZ-18 in August, I have strictly held to our agreement that every photo that I post anywhere at anytime on this entire Forum are my own personal photographs. Can we now put this issue behind us and get on with learning more about photography and learning the skills of photography.

I sincerely hope that this post will finally settle the issue, rather than have you continually nagging on the issue. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:52 PM   #55

18x zoom, "P" mode, ISO200, 1/125, cropped
Attached Images

JerrysonycanonandmaybeLumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:19 PM   #56

Was it taken at full 18x zoom? The image is sharp but not that sharp. Considering there's plenty of light, I wonder how effective the OIS really is. Also, the green grass seem to be a bit over saturated but it may very well be my monitor!
Old Nov 22, 2007, 9:21 PM   #57

Portrait mode, ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:01 PM   #58

Unusual portrait subject but the shot works for me. I have that mode in my FZ7, only used it a few times although it seemed to work well when I did. Maybe I will have to try it on non-human sujbects.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 1:04 PM   #59

18X stray cat
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:24 PM   #60

This would have been a great shot if it wasn't for the fact that some leaves and branches are on focus while the cat isn't. For shots like this, I'd set the camera to spot focus so that you can point the very center of the viewfinder to the cat and the camera will focus on it rather than on the surrounding objects. Just a suggestion!