Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1

Are there any plans for releasing a review of the new Panasonic FZ18 any time soon?
Kirilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:11 AM   #2

Have you googled, "Review of FZ18"?

cause I did just that and this popped up based on a production model. Got pics n everything. Hey you FZ20 users out there, does the camera look familiar??? Here is the review:

http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-fz18-review.html

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"here's a british site review:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...ix-DMC-FZ18/p1
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:42 AM   #3

Yes, I googled that and I have seen those reviews. The thing is I would like to see a review on this site.

The reviews you linked to are not that complete. For example I am missing the comparison of RAW images with JPEG. Also comparisons between different setting, etc.
Kirilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:58 AM   #4

The Review & Specs are great. Like all EVEF Super-Zooms, it is STILL MISSING ONE LAST IMPORTANT FEATURE: A quick-turning MECHANICAL ZOOM RING for sports and fast moving action (coming towards & away from the camera). If they add that one item, and it will "replace many SLRs" in the market place.
mmayer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:53 AM   #5

While 18x optical zoom and 28mm wide angle would be nice to have, I'm not convinced the venus engine III, is an improvement over the venus II.
and until the Pana folks finally step up to a larger sensor I'll stick with my FZ30. Which by the way has a mechanical zoom ring that will take you from 1x to 12x in a little more than 1/4 turn.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:23 PM   #6

I have 2 digital cameras. I have a Sony DSC R1, excellent photos- when the shots aren't blurry due to me pressing the shutter too fast, they are awesome. I have a Canon A630, most shots are fine and useable, wish I had the image stabilization. Now I am thinking of getting the Panasonic FZ 18 for fun. I used a Canon S3 for 1month and gave it away as a gift -video was great. So I am looking to the FZ18 to be a super S3.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

JerrysonycanonandmaybeLumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:00 PM   #7

Jerry-

Yes, I would like to see the FZ-18 be a super S-3IS as well. After reading the two reviews that were linked in this thread (thank you very much for the links, Hank!) it seems the lens is a marvel, but unfortunately, the photo result is held back by the small 1/2.5" imager.

It will none the less, be a fun camera, and the FZ-18 will be capable of better than average ultrazoom photos. As I mentioned previously, I decided to give it a try and have placed my order.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:01 PM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jerry-

Yes, I would like to see the FZ-18 be a super S-3IS as well. After reading the two reviews that were linked in this thread (thank you very much for the links, Hank!) it seems the lens is a marvel, but unfortunately, the photo result is held back by the small 1/2.5" imager.

It will none the less, be a fun camera, and the FZ-18 will be capable of better than average ultrazoom photos. As I mentioned previously, I decided to give it a try and have placed my order.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,
After you receive it and test it out do please post your thoughts in this forum. I see you a lot in the What Camera To Buy forum but don't check that one as often as I might as I already have (and am fond of) my FZ7.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:38 PM   #9

Steve-

I am also a happy FZ-7 user as well. I just got curious about the FZ-18 and after a lot of reading, decided to give it a go. I probably will not receive the camera until 09/21. As soon as I have it in hand I will post some samples.

Here is an FZ-7 shot from this morning.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:28 PM   #10

I like the feet on that gull. Ours are not near as pretty.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote