Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:16 PM   #1

Hi,

In many review postings by professional photographers I see that shooting jpegs above ISO 100 isdicourageddue to hi picture noise in the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 camera.

My question is this: The Leica V-Lux 1 camera is comparible and similarto the Panasonic FZ50 but costs a great deal more.

Did Leica upgrade ortweekthe firmware or software in the V-Lux 1 camera toeliminate or reducethe camera noise that is apparent when shooting at ISOs over 100 in the Panasonic?

I own a Panasonic FZ50 and shoot at ISO 100 with no problems but would buy a V lux-1 camera if I knew I could shoot at the higher ISOs without the picture noise becoming really apparent.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Tom
SIMBAPIMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:45 PM   #2

It is exactly the same except it has a red dot........If you want an ultrazoom the FZ50 is at the top of the list.......if you obsess about noise you need to look at a different type of camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:43 PM   #3

Hi,

I wont obsess about higher ISOs.Just wondering. I use ISO 100 as my default and love the FZ50. I wont pay more for a red dot doing the same thing. Thanks for the info.

Tom
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4

Hi Tom, Glad you are enjoying your FZ50. I have the V-LUX 1 and love it. There was a lot of hype when it came out about Leica's NR being a little easier on the smearing of details than the FZ50 at the low setting. At the time I thought I could see some difference so I went for the Leica. To tell the truth, I still don't know if there is really a difference. There has never been a real comparison to tell us one way or the other. I like to think there is so I woun't feel so stupid for spending the extra money but I'm honestly, not sure.

The FZ50 does a great job and is as good as it gets in it's class as far as I'm concerned. If there is any difference, it is very slight and I don't, to this day know if I would go for the Leica again.

That being said, it is nice to have people see my Leica and react to it in a very positive way. I guess we all like for people to think our gear if top notch but is it worth the extra bucks? I just can't truthfully answer that one way or the other. My Zoto site has been screwed up for the last two weeks so I can't post any pictures for you to see but I will when they get it fixed.

Since you already have the FZ50, I'd just set back and enjoy it if it were me.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:21 PM   #5

Hi,

I contacted the Leica technical department directly.The E mail from them quoted: The Leica (V-Lux) has "Finely tuned image processing in theFIRMWARE that reflects our preferences in color rendition and quality".

"Customer feedback has indicated a marked improvement in the Leica camera"

I guess this says it all.

Tom
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:25 PM   #6

Hi Tom

Can't add any more than whats already be said by genece and Don. The only difference between the V-LUX1 and the FZ50 I'd say would be a few firmware and colour tweaks. I think you should be able to shoot upto to ISO200 and as long as your exposure is correct the IQ should be just fine.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:34 PM   #7

The color tweak thing seems to be valid......but I see no difference in noise,( or more properly NR) with the examples I have seen.

But what would you expect leica to say? "we charge more for the dot"?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:53 PM   #8

Rumor's out that the red dot is very nice. Ok didn't want to make us FZ50 owners feel bad, but it is actually, very very nice.....
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote