Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:28 PM   #1

I was at an amusement park a while back and some water got onto the camera. Since then, the navigation switch has not been the same. I am unable to get to secondary menus, I cannot set anything in manual mode, among other things.
I spoke with the Panasonic Repair center and they recommended that I not even send it in. They said when they determine that there is water damage, they won't even attempt to repair it - warranty or not.
So, I took a screw driver to the back panel and attempted to open it. I can get it separated from the body but something is still holding it on. It looks like the whole back panel attaches to the hot boot and flash somehow. I will keep trying - carefully - to remove it. Anyone ever try this?

Joe

jdemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:31 AM   #2

Joe

I am sure that it's been done and documented.
A couple of years ago, probably on dpreview.com forum rather than on this one, someone made a detailed post on how completely open up a FZ10 (? -yest more preobably it was a 10 not a 20, but they have exactly the same body) with many pics taken of the stages of disassembling. He also opened the lenses compart...

Haven't managed to find it in a quick search, but I m sure I read that post.

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:18 PM   #3

A couple years ago I spilled beer on my FZ20. The navigation switch also quit working for me. I thought the camera was then junk. I found a can of quick drying electrical contact cleaner at a auto parts store. I carefully sprayed the switch, "worked" the switch,let it dry for about 15 minutes...and it worked, and still is working. The spray cost around $5 and was in a red can. I was careful not to get any spray around the lense, only on the switch. I can`t promise that it will work for you, but it worked for me. Oh yeah, I made sure the battery was out before spraying. Good luck.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:34 PM   #4

Thanks! I had purchased some computer cleaner thinking I would be able to blow out the liquid. However, it goes on cold and leaves a little residue. The camera operates the same, i.e., not working correctly, so I hope I haven't made it worse. I give your suggestion a try.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:19 PM   #5

Why don't you google Panasonic FZ20 service manuel and see if you can download one.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 9:10 AM   #6

I have posted an invalid link to some manuals here lately.

so I had to remove it lateron.

At least we have got a legal disassembly procedure for the FZ5 here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repa...Panasonic-FZ5/

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:24 AM   #7

I was so pleased with that link! But unfortunately, I can't download the manuals for the FZ5 and the FZ20, the website says that both have been removed :sad:
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:38 AM   #8

Hi yogi,

try this search, to get a at least the FZ10 manual:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=...+fz10&meta=

it is the first link at the moment.

There are also providers, "selling" the manual for less than 10$.

cheers

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:25 AM   #9

Looks like all the links to each of the service manuals has been updated at the Free Panasonic Digital Camera Service Manual Archive

http://lumixdmc-free.blogspot.com/

You need to wait about 45 secs for a free download though (there's a visible timer).
panafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:32 PM   #10

So, I found the red can of electrical component cleaner (CRC QD Electronic Cleaner). I sprayed on the switch, open the back using the instructions provided in this thread, and sprayed the switch again ("working" the switch each time), and finally removed the back panel completely and sprayed the connectors.
The camera has not responded. It's as if the four position navigation switch has been re-programed. Despite all of this cleaning, it responds the same way every time. Nothing seems to change it. Other ideas? I may just have to hit up eBay for a replacement.

Joe