Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:58 AM   #1

My exposure in A mode was good. My exposure using S mode told a different story. In the S mode as I increased the shutter speed using the thumb wheel the pictures got progressivly darker until finally at 1/2000 the camera selected F9.3 and the picture was black. My old 35mm intuition told me that the higher the shutter speed the larger the lens opening and that would be numerically smaller F stops. Why is my Panny doing just the opposite. What part of digital photography don't I understand and how do I get the Panny to behave? Have I inadverently entered a wrong setting?
187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:27 AM   #2

You can't normally exceed the camera's limitations in aperture priority with the shutter speed capabilities of the FZ50. You can easily exceed the capabilities with shutter priority as there is only a comparatively small range of apertures available.

I don't understand why it would close down the aperture. You didn't mention the rest of the sequence. As you increase the shutter speed it should open the lens until it reaches the widest available for the zoom. After that the photos get darker as you increase speed since there isn't enough light reaching the sensor.

I don't have a FZ50 but I think it continued the constant preview feature you unfortunately can't bypass. Maybe when the light gets extremely low with absurd settings it can no longer meter and goes to a neutral aperture. But within a reasonable range it should open the lens as you increase the speed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:46 AM   #3

F2.8 - F3.7 / F11 is the range of the lens. It was a sunny day. I could understand the f opening staying at is most open as the shutter speed was increased but the aperature never opened up from the 3.4 and as I kept increasing speeds the aperature went all the way to 9.3 at 1/2000.
187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4

187 wrote:
Quote:
F2.8 - F3.7 / F11 is the range of the lens. It was a sunny day. I could understand the f opening staying at is most open as the shutter speed was increased but the aperature never opened up from the 3.4 and as I kept increasing speeds the aperature went all the way to 9.3 at 1/2000.
Unlike the earlier model FZ10, 15 and 20, which had a full range of aperture F2.8 – F16 at any zoom the FZ30 and FZ50 and almost all zoom cameras do not. One of the reasons I hate them. The more zoom you apply the less F stops.F3.7, 100 ISO, 1/1000sec at full zoom. A program bug left over from the FZ30 does then rest. Increase the speed above 1,000 and the F-stops go in the opposite direction. Want a great camera dump the FZ50 and pick up one of the older models.

Tip set exposure bias to -1/3 and keep it there all the time, unless you live in Australia them -2/3, on a sunny day ISO 80 and shoot Aperture priority.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 3:08 PM   #5

Even with lovelifes wonderful FZ10 ( at least with my FZ 20 and I am sure my FZ10 did the same)at F2.8 you can only use a SS of 1/1000, at F4 1/1300 and at F5.6 1/1600 and at F8 you can use the fastest speed of 1/2000.

I would keep the FZ 50....and leave Lovelife buy all the old FZ10s he wishes. If I had not given mine to my daughter, he could have it for free.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Though the FZ10 is a good camera and still is. Telling someone to dump the FZxx is showing much disdain.

I have seen examples with the other models and all show great results.

I have the FZ1v2 (best model ever due to my own user bias), FZ10 and FZ20. I don't have any of them being able to go beyond F8.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:31 PM   #7

Doesn't it have something to do with the fact that the simple mechanical iris's used in these inexpensive P&S cameras are not capable of supporting high shutter speeds when wide open [ie: f2.8] ? Hence, in Shutter Priority mode you dial in a fast shutter speed of 1/2000 and the camera will automatically close down the iris to an opening that can support the speed desired.

I believe you'll also see this camera "override" if you are in Manual mode. If you start off with a slow shutter speed (1/320) and a wide open aperture [f2.8] you'll see that as you increase shutter speed you will get to a point where it is locked until you decrease the aperture opening by a couple of stops.

This is how it works on my old old FZ20.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote