Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:18 PM   #1

I went toour indoor Rodeo the other night and got these shots. I was disapointed because the light was so bad the fastest shutter speed I could could get was 1/80 and that was at ISO800. Panning helped and I like the movement of the feet but needless to say, they are very noisy. If I use NR it wipes out all the detail.
DonR

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:17 PM   #2

What the heck u talkin bout? The blur is perfect on these pics. You can only see it on the horses legs or the lasso. The people are perfectly frozen. Movement doesn't =bad. On the contrary, it shows you know what you are doing. Like in these pics, if you didn't say anything I would have assumed you were a professional photographer at a rodeo purposely showing the blur which signifies the movement that was going on. You are like a reporter, a photojournalist. If you would have stopped them completely (the horses, calves etc.) it would make for a much more surreal photo, and a "non-real" one. I do understand what you are saying, that you are frustrated with the fact that you can't set the camera to what you want but in this case it worked out to your advantage b/c these pics are much better than pictures if you could have completely stopped the action. And I don't mind the noise, it just looks like you were shooting at dusk, it adds a gritty texture, kinda like the nature of a cowboy, don't you think?

Of course this is my opinion, what does everyone else think?
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3

It's not all about freezing action...these are great...thanks for posting. Everyone should be so lucky to get shots like this. Keep doing exactly what you did.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4

I guess I did say that wrong. I was panning and I like the way the action is shown but I wish I could have gotten it at a lower ISO because of the noise. Printed 8x10 it shows up bad enough to be really distracting. Instead of looking gritty or sandy itis colored purple.

DonR
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:57 AM   #5

Invest in a program like Neat Image or Noise Ninja, which does a preety good job of removing noise. I own and really like Neat Image.If you have the wrong type colors in the imagethough (reds & blues especially), from ISO 400 youcan get that runnywatercolor look, which is why from ISO 400 with my FZ50 I shoot RAW....but that does put a cramp in your style if you shoot in burst modes since there's no buffershooting RAW.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6

They look great to me. If you don't have noise reduction software I will add a second vote for Neat Image.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:11 PM   #7

It's the 800 ISO I had to use that's the problem. I used Paint Shop Pro noise removal but to clean the 8x10's up it wipes out all the detail. Does Neat Image do a better job?

DonR
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:53 PM   #8

I will sene you a PM with my email address and you can send me a picture to play with. That is the only way to find out I think. Unless you care to experiment on your own. You can then download a free version of Neat Image. Limitations of the free version are (I think I remember this right) Only saves as JPEG. Saves at 82% resolution or quality or something. (I never saw a difference.) And the free version strips EXIF data.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:56 PM   #9

Hi Don

Long time no see my friends ...!! Apologies for not poping over and keeping in contact with my fellow Lumix/Fluzies. Good to see a lot of the old faces still posting esp, Francesco, TC, Don just to name a few.

Looking at those pics from the Rodeo i think theyre just fine, infact being just slightly blurred really adds the shots, esp all that speed/energy and power. Regards noise, I'd much rather have noise and detail any day of the week than have no detail at all.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:30 PM   #10

Hi HarjTT,

I've seen some of your post over at Olympus. Really like them. Thanks for the comments. I like the movement I got in the shots but the noise at ISO800 with the lighting I had to work with makes the photos look really bad, especially printed at 8x10. I could not clean it up enough to make them look good enough to show.

DonR