Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:33 PM   #1
jcr

Hi all

I am located in Europe (Portugal) and I have seen today a french magazine with an article on the new Panasonic Lumix-DMC L10 witch I promptly read...nothing new except price... 1.300 EUR...much higher than what I was expecting...what do you all think on this ??? at today rate it would be something about 1.836 USD...comments are welcome...thinking also on Canon 40D...I will wait a bit to see reviews and compare L10 to Canon for a new cam that fill the needs above my beloved FZ30 but with that price I don't really know who their target is...Canon 40D we do have lots of proven records from previous models and lots of options...and with L10 ? first SLR...with very high price tag in my opinion...tell me your thoughts...please...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:16 AM   #2

From my experience I can tell you that the price opn the european market is usually almost the same as the dollar price, only in euro. You don't need to calculate for the different currencies
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:00 PM   #3

Hi Jcr

1300Euro's, does seem a bit steep and I'm assuming at least 650 euro's is down to the new lens. I'd wait to see what the reviews of the L10 are like before comitting any money.

The L10 is the second DSLR, so you might want to look at the DMC L1+Leica D14-50 f2.8-3.5 which can be had for a pretty good deal. Why would I go for the L1 over the L10 ? Simply due to the fact that the Leica D with the L1 is a pro grade high quality lens and on its own costs £800+, and currently you can get the L1+the lens for slightly less. While the new lens with the L10 is clearly an entry/kit level lens. The Canon 40D looks a very good cam as well but I doubt the supplied kit lens will be as good as the L10's.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:25 PM   #4

Hi Harj How goes it nice to see you.

I don't see any Pana DSLR in my sight just too expensive and also the leica name ups price too.
Best deal is the new Olys or Pentax K10 both now have modern Digital lenses, sure Leica can make great lenses (summicron) but most are no better than Oly or Pentax
May have some commission work needing Hi-Res so K10 is the go it only lacks "live view" other wise its pretty good

John

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jcr

1300Euro's, does seem a bit steep and I'm assuming at least 650 euro's is down to the new lens. I'd wait to see what the reviews of the L10 are like before comitting any money.

The L10 is the second DSLR, so you might want to look at the DMC L1+Leica D14-50 f2.8-3.5 which can be had for a pretty good deal. Why would I go for the L1 over the L10 ? Simply due to the fact that the Leica D with the L1 is a pro grade high quality lens and on its own costs £800+, and currently you can get the L1+the lens for slightly less. While the new lens with the L10 is clearly an entry/kit level lens. The Canon 40D looks a very good cam as well but I doubt the supplied kit lens will be as good as the L10's.

Cheers

HarjTT

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:28 AM   #5
JKA

I attended the Henry's Photographic Show last friday in Toronto Ontario. The suggested retail price for the L1 and L10 from Panasonic Canada are the same. (1599.99 Canadian dollars)
L10 is not much smaller than the L1 and looks very much like the new Olympus E-3.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote