Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:13 PM   #1

Same kind of bird in all shots. First one shot on a drab day with clouds and the shot reflects that well. Next three shot as soon as the sun cleared the pier and threw a little light on the subjects. Shots would have been crisper if I had waited until the sun was higher, but the Peregrines would have run them off by then as they were sitting behind me looking for breakfast.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:25 AM   #2

Really nice shots Steve. I like the morning sun on them. What do you have the NR set at. A lot of detail if smudged onthe first two shots. Don't take me wrong, I really like the photos. I was just wondering.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:39 AM   #3

Ineresting posture in the first shot Steve, and perfect timing on #3. That morning light makes it worth while to get out and about early.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4

Nice shots Steve, I like the way the sun was hitting the last three.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:19 PM   #5

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Really nice shots Steve. I like the morning sun on them. What do you have the NR set at. A lot of detail if smudged onthe first two shots. Don't take me wrong, I really like the photos. I was just wondering.

DonR
I had the noise reduction set to low for sure for the first shot, and I think for the others also although I can't swear to it. All were run through Neat Image, but I play with that so very little smearing occurs due to using it unless the photo is really bad. I was going to blame any blurring on shutter speed so I went and looked at EXIF data. The first two were shot at 1/400 second with a tele converter and a monopod. I would prefer a faster speed but that is what I used. (Aperture Priority) However, the third one with the wings spread is the best of the bunch in my opinion, and that was shot at 1/80 second so I guess I can't blame shutter speed. Anyway, the lowered noise reduction was a week's experiment and I am back to normal now. In fact, I may try high next.

Thanks for commenting and thanks also tinosa and Ted. And yes, that morning light is great. When it comes. So cloudy today I took my first pictures of a sandpiper using the flash. One turned out passable out of about ten.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:44 PM   #6

hello peasant......i actually liked the shots with the subtle lighting....gives the shots a "moody" feeling......as always you sang some good shots.........hope ya remember me....i'm partially back aftera summer hiatus........lotsa work.........not much time to read and post........pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:55 PM   #7

Hi Pete. Wondered where you have been. Hope you are not working too hard and can take a picture now and then. I like the subtle lighting too. It is just such a fine line between subtle lighting and too dark for crisp shots. Thanks for commenting.