Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:49 AM   #1

Here are some pictures made with my FZ5.

http://picasaweb.google.com/danm.cool/WhatCanMyFZ5Do

And soon, hopefully, some pictures with my future FZ18!

Dan
danm_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:34 AM   #2
Administrator

Nice Images.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:52 AM   #3

I am just thinking whether to buy a DSLR or remain in the same category buying the new bridge from panasonic, the FZ18.

For the moment my opinion is that a bridge camera can do most of the stuff that DSLR does, so there is no special need (for me) to invest into a DSLR one....

Cheers
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:02 AM   #4

Nice work with the FZ5. I'm struggling with the same thing. The only thing I've found the FZ's woun't do is fast action in really low light and I'm obsessing over it. I've tried to get good quality 8x10 prints of an indoor rodeo for the last two years and I can't. Other that that the leica lens and big zoom are wonderful. Now, I'm trying to decide how much I'll miss that and how much it will cost to get the same range and quality. With DSLR's it's more about the lenses you use and good ones are very expensive.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5

Your FZ5 really does good things (it has the best colors of any FZ ever, also according to IMA tests)...but I must also admit that even you are a good camera holder and shutter button presser. :-)

http://www.francescoraffaele.com
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:38 PM   #6

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Nice work with the FZ5. I'm struggling with the same thing. The only thing I've found the FZ's woun't do is fast action in really low light and I'm obsessing over it. I've tried to get good quality 8x10 prints of an indoor rodeo for the last two years and I can't. Other that that the leica lens and big zoom are wonderful. Now, I'm trying to decide how much I'll miss that and how much it will cost to get the same range and quality. With DSLR's it's more about the lenses you use and good ones are very expensive.

DonR
I think that the new FZ18 allows using faster ISO up to 400 with almost no quality loss, of course after some parameter tuning. To get the images of the birds moving I had to use the fastest focus mode (1 rectangle with an H aside from the menu) and put it at 200 ISO, though there was a lot of light.

You are maybe right about fast moving subjects, they are difficult to get, it is a weak point of the FZ series, but I remind you that only some new DSLR cameras provide features like "Live View" that would ease up getting subjects in movement.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:20 PM   #7

Great pictures. Based on them, instead of a DSLR, why don't you consider the FZ-50?. It gives you more manual control, without the inconveniences od a DSLR.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:41 PM   #8

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Great pictures.* Based on them, instead of a DSLR, why don't you consider the FZ-50?.** It gives you more manual control, without the inconveniences od a DSLR.
I find FZ50 too big compared to FZ18 and it does not offer wide angle lens out of the box....

Though ,if a new model comes out and has wide angle lens, I think it would be a nice choice (instead of a DSLR).

Cheers,
Dan