Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:06 PM   #11
Administrator

I'm a little surprised to see members still trying to use the old forum url. So, that could be a big part of the issue. I guess I take it for granted that the url has changed. But, some of our existing members may not realize it (since the old url has never been deactivated).

I'm glad you guys brought it up.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:27 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm a little surprised to see members still trying to use the old forum url. So, that could be a big part of the issue. I guess I take it for granted that the url has changed. But, some of our existing members may not realize it (since the old url has never been deactivated).

I'm glad you guys brought it up.

Well, we are glad you reminded us of the new one. Funny thing is I never had a problem with the old one until you came up with the new one.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:17 AM   #13

Whatever the reason, the lack of interest is surprising. I learned almost all I know about photography from the people in this forum and tryingthe things they suggested. I had never used a camera until my FZ1 and the knowledge base here was a big help. I'm still learning and need all those missing perple to come back.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:49 AM   #14

JimC, I am on digest emailso I receive allpostings ofeach day together in one email (well, not really, I receive mostly five or six emails with the same content, but my complaint about it has not been tackled).

Unfortunately, the reply address generated for each posting in the digest email still contains the old URL. It might be an idea to change that as well.

Best regards

Johan
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:38 AM   #15
Administrator

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:17 AM   #16
Administrator

Yogibear

I'll test it some more. But, I think you're just seeing a side effect of posting to threads using the old url at http://www.stevesforums.com (do not use that one). From outward appearances, if you post to an old url, the e-mails will have links to the old url. The e-mail's I get when posts to threads I'm watching occur use the new url.

So, to bypass the problem until we can figure out a better solution, make sure you only login and post to the new forum url at http://forums.steves-digicams.com

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:10 PM   #17

I've experienced a differentproblem after the sitechange. Some times a link from an email takes me to the forum but as if I was not signed in. Then, I try to sign in but it does not accept my id/pw. However, if I go and request a new pw and then use the temp pw, it logs me in. I then go and change the temp pw to my old pw and all is fine. The thing is, this whole exercise can be aggravating and very time consuming. Is it the defaultbrowser (I use Maxthon, which is IE based) retaining some bad cookie?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:31 PM   #18
Administrator

It sounds like you're using a link to the old url causing the issues (and if you post to the old url, you'll get e-mails with links to the wrong url, too).

I'm not familiar with Maxthon. But, with IE, you can delete cookies to make sure that's not causing an issue (it shouldn't be since stevesforums.com and forums.steves-digicams.com both have their own set of cookies, unless you're going to the old url first when settting your password). Don't use http://www.stevesforums.com as that will problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835

Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:20 PM   #19

I miss the traffic in here too. Lots of people just dropped off like myself. Things change and that's just the way it goes.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:22 PM   #20

Have been away on a sailing vacation in Turkey. Got back recently and was disappointed to see the reduction in traffic on this forum. I monitor both Steve's and dpreview. Steve's generally seems to have, or used to have, more interesting photos. dpreview is more technical. I like both.
I had planned to post some pix once I've finished selecting the "keepers". But I now wonder if there would be any interest.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote