Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:17 PM   #1

No owl today so I amused myself with Peregrine shots. They are a bit faster then owls and the day was gloomy so these are not great. But they are pretty good and will do until I can improve on them.

This one is easy. Any flaws can be covered by calling it art due to the sunrise.

This one pretty easy too. Only flaw is it is not a flight shot.

Low over the beach.

A bit higher.

A pity this isn't better with the bird looking my way.

These had Neat Image at maybe half to three quarters strength. The patterning on these birds is not improved by full strength noise reduction I have noticed. (I have lots of Peregrine shots I play with.) All were shot with a tele converter. I do wonder how good the FZ18 would be for practicing bird shots, as that would be a lot more flexible then having the tele converter on when something close by needs to be photographed in a hurry.

Clicking on any picture will take you to my Montrose Fall Birds set. There are a few other raptor shots in that set.

Thanks for looking.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:51 PM   #2

Considering how fast these birds are you did well Steve.I bought the fz50 partly for the EZ mode to avoid having to use a tcon (5mp equivalent 598mm at full zoom).Seen some very nice shots with the fz18 at full zoom, so that would prove a good choice too, with the added bonus of more reach without having to drop image resolution.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:59 PM   #3

You are getting better Steve. The falcons are really fast and I don't think I could do nearly as well. More practice can never heart any of us. Are you using a RDS?

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
You are getting better Steve. The falcons are really fast and I don't think I could do nearly as well. More practice can never heart any of us. Are you using a RDS?

DonR
Thanks Don and Mark for comments. No red dot system for me. I just point it that-a-way and pray. Actually, practice does improve my ability. I am working on settings lately as the tele converter takes more effort in that area then camera without it. Currently playing with Manual setting and various combos of Aperture and Shutter speeds. Meaning as high a number for each as I can get away with. Which is where shooting on a beach or over a lake comes in handy due to light. And manual focus set at maximum. Which works as long as bird doesn't get in my face. Anyway, with those settings the shutter is quite responsive as the camera does not have any thinking to do when shutter depressed. And I can hold shutter half way down while locating/tracking and have an almost instantaneous response when I do depress it all the way.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:11 PM   #5

You are doing pretty good Steve, it's not easy to track and shoot that small a bird in flight with a FZ.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6

tcook wrote:
Quote:
You are doing pretty good Steve, it's not easy to track and shoot that small a bird in flight with a FZ.
Thanks Ted. It is a birdy world along Lake Michigan so I get lots of practice. By the way, someone researched the band since it was visible in one of my posted photos. I don't know about the dawn bird, but the name of the one in the other pictures is Clark.