Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #11

They all look very nice. That elderberry shot is extra fine in my opinion.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:47 AM   #12

Thanks Steve, I think the vibrant colours make it stand out.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:27 PM   #13

All are very nice, Mark. Though not familiar with Lightroom, it does a great job.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:39 AM   #14

Thanks. Its designed as a Raw conversion program but I use it for all my shots now (both raw and jpg) due to the very easy to use interface and the fact I seem to get better results with this program.

Mark H
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:37 AM   #15

All very nice shots Mark. It seems that the FZ50 handled well the different light conditions.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:02 PM   #16

Thanks Emmanuel I`ve found i have to use more negative exposure comp than the fz20 to avoid blowing highlights but now i`ve got the hang of the new camera i`m pleased with the results.

Mark H
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:00 AM   #17

Nice set Mark. That silhouette of the birds is a cracker.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:35 AM   #18

Thanks Raf. Had i not tried the gradient layer on that one it would have been consigned to the recycle bin, just shows that sometimes a shot can be transformed with something simple.

Mark H
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:18 AM   #19

Hi Mark, good pics. Mark i still have the FZ20 its still in mint condition and still taking great shots but i have had it for a few years now and wondering if its worthwhile updating to the 50.What would you do? is there much differance between the 20 and the 50? Thanks mate. Raoul
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:39 AM   #20

Hi Raoul, the simple answer to your question is that the fz50 handling and functions are in a different league compared to the fz20.In fact, its as close to DSLR handling as you`ll find, without actually going the DSLR route.
I`ve found the higher ISO`s more usable (up to iso800) on the 50 compared to 200iso being the upper limit for most fz20 shooting.I`d say with the fz50, iso400 is the equivalent of iso100 on the fz20, while iso800 looks ,to me, similar to iso200 on the fz20.
If you set the fz50s EZ mode to the 5mp setting , which is equivalent to a full res fz20 image, you`ll have nearly 600mm of zoom at that setting,with results that to my eyes at least appear a lot sharper and more detailed than the fz20 equivalent 5mp shot.So, if youre currently happy with your fz20s images you`ll be equally happy with the fz50 shots, probably more so.
The NR is said to be pretty aggressive with the fz50 but i`ve not had any problems shooting with all in camera settings set to low and processing images via Adobe Lightroom.Theres also the ability to shoot Raw with the 50, something badly lacking on the 20 (I could never see the point of shooting in Tiff mode with the fz20).
Prints of fz50 full res (10mp) images at A4 look stunning too.
That basically sums it up but if you have any specific questions i`d be happy to try and answer them for you, and maybe some of the other fz50 users on here will add their opinions too.

Mark H