Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1

I got a number of shots of this Cooper's Hawk as he and the crows were playing. The time he stopped closest to me there was a stick running between lens and tail, making a whole bird shot rather nasty. So I took half a bird instead.

He and the crows all rested from time to time. Here is a whole bird shot.

Then he left.

Clicking on any picture will take you to a fall set with this bird and others you may have seen. Last bird there is a Snow Bunting. First time I ever saw one and it is a really cute little bird.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:51 PM   #2

I like the half bird shot. It's clear andsharp with lots of detail. I didn't know hawks and crows played together. Seems like the crow would be lunch instead of a playmate.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:06 AM   #3

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I like the half bird shot. It's clear andsharp with lots of detail. I didn't know hawks and crows played together. Seems like the crow would be lunch instead of a playmate.

DonR
One crow might be lunch. A group of crows together is called a murder instead of a flock. For good reason. Although I don't know if any have killed a hawk locally they get pretty feisty in large flocks. There were twenty or thirty in additon to the one seen next to the hawk. Today was sort of neat; there were 50 crows beyond the dune growth at the waterline, I was in the plants, and the Cooper's Hawks were coming in low over the vegetation and then rising up and swooping at the crows. Then a select bunch of the crows would take off after the hawk and run him out. Then a bit later it would happen again.

In the last few days I have seen the crows go after Cooper's Hawks, Great Horned and Short-eared Owls, and hollar at the Peregrines. They don't seem to want to chase the Peregrines as much, which shows crows are smart I guess.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:46 PM   #4

nice shots happy.....and better still are your stories..........
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
nice shots happy.....and better still are your stories..........
Thanks Pete. Glad you like them.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:35 PM   #6

Considering how hard to approach our birds of prey are, I can appreciate all of these Steve.Nice detail in the first shot.
We get Snow Buntings along the coast during winter....now they ARE a bird thats very approachable.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:01 PM   #7

All are nice, 1 & 3 my favorites

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:43 PM   #8

Nice catch there Steve, I actually like # 2 best.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:15 AM   #9

Thanks for looking and commenting guys. Mark; I can't take credit for the close approach since they flew to the tree over me. All I did was go walking to the area where all the crow noise was. I like 1 and 2 best myself. I wish I could have gotten a whole hawk shot as close as number 1, and wish the crow was in a different position, but overall like them. And for 3, well, one of these days I may luck out and get the hawk flying face on.

Oh Mark, those friendly buntings. I worry about that. I wonder how long friendly will last with anywhere from two to five of these hawks around. Not to mention the Kestrels and Peregrines that live there. Or the owls.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:46 AM   #10

Hi Steve, we have a similar number of predators on our coast where the buntings overwinter and they seem to do ok.They seem to tolerate humans getting close but act in the usual way when confronted with a predator and usually evade capture.

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote