Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Came across this one this morning while out for a walk. Closest I`ll get to a proper wildcat, although its bell gives it away. taken at 800iso, no NR , processed in Lightroom.Just printed it out at A4 and was pretty impressed with the detail considering the high iso. The noise that is present is pretty even, so no different to old film grain...

Mark H
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:21 AM   #2

That's impressive for ISO 800 Mark. I've only used 800 is very low light and didn't get anything that would print out very good.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3

Thanks Don. I think if the cat had been further away then there would have been more smearing of the fur detail, but luckily i was quite close so all the detail got picked up by the camera.There is some slight noise on the print, but as I said its consistent like old film grain.If i was really picky I could have easily cleaned it up with Neatimage.I did deliberately slightly over expose the image as I knew there would be some noise, it seems to have worked quite well. Noise is always more obvious in an image thats been brightened than the other way round where the exposure is lowered slightly.I forgot to add in my first post that this was processed from a Raw image, which i`m sure helped to retain the detail also.

Mark H
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:33 PM   #4

Well, this is quite fine I must say. Noise is easily ignored in all the shot detail. Good looking "Wildcat", by the way. You were so lucky to find one.:lol:
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:40 PM   #5

Thanks Steve it looked so close to the "real deal" i had to take a snap.....plus its always a good test to see how wild animal shots will come out at the same settings.

Mark H
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:54 PM   #6

Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Steve it looked so close to the "real deal" i had to take a snap.....plus its always a good test to see how wild animal shots will come out at the same settings.

Mark H
The colored fur looks great. There is not enough white for me to tell how that came out. One of my most bothersome birds is the Bonaparte's Gull. I think they are whiter then the usual white or something, but white is overall the most unforgiving color on any critter I find.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:03 PM   #7

I always have problems with gulls and other white birds like swans Steve.Hopefully the fz50`s exposure lock will help in the future.....its certainly helped with my other shots.
As I mentioned I did deliberately over expose to hopefully overcome the noise that would be present, and you can see the white paws have blown slightly, but the white chest came out ok as it was in shade (the paws were sunlit).I only got this one shot as despite being a pet cat, it was very cautious and didnt hang around long :-)

Mark H
Old Oct 30, 2007, 4:54 PM   #8

ISO 800. Wow, I would kill for that quality. My FZ30 just does a really poor job even at 400, or maybe its me. I recently did some night shots on a tripod and forgot to go off 400 and they were awful. I suspect the presence of light in your shot and absence in mine may have been teh determining factor.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:01 PM   #9

Thanks Raf. I was surprised too when i loaded the image onto the laptop,more so after processing it, as i expected the sharpening to make the noise pretty unsightly.Compared to my old fz20, the new camera opens up a lot more opportunities.

Mark H
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:37 PM   #10

Looks really good for ISO 800 Mark. Did you shoot in RAW?
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote